Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sar -d for tape devices

JHL_1
Frequent Advisor

Sar -d for tape devices

I'm trying to run sar -d in order to check the performance of my tape devices (DLT 7000). While the man page for sar reports that I can use the -d option for block devices such as tape drives, I am not getting avserv/avwait values on any tape devices. This is true on any HP system I test this on. Any ideas on how to get "sar -d" data for tape drives?
5 REPLIES
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Re: Sar -d for tape devices

Hi,

sar -d will give you only for the active device

When you run sar probably your tape device was not at all active.

-USA..
Good Luck..
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi John:

Sar -d only works for block devices. Under HP-UX the tape drives are character devices. Under some flavor of UNIX, there were both character and block devices associated with tape drives. In fact, you could even have a filesystem on a tape.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
JHL_1
Frequent Advisor

I'm running the sar -d with the -f option which allows me to see values for the whole 24-hour period. I know the tape drives were active during this period but still do not see any values.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

John,

sar, vmstat, iostat are not able to catch everything because of process scheduling. If you don't already have glance, you can install a trial version. glance will allow you to "watch" the device as it performs.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die