Operating System - Microsoft
1747980 Members
4734 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Scanjet 5p - USB adapter??

Neal Gilbert

Scanjet 5p - USB adapter??

I have a Scanjet 5P. I have a new computer that only has USB ports. Is there a SCSI adapter for the 5p so I can plug it into my new Dell Dimension (a SCSI to USB adapter?). If not is there a new Scsi card I can get for the new Dell. I am told the old one will slow down my machine..is that true? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Neal2222@aol.com
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Scanjet 5p - USB adapter??

Neal:

What OS are you running on the Dell?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Patrick Ruane
Valued Contributor

Re: Scanjet 5p - USB adapter??

Neal

Check www.belkin.com, they sell a variety of USB adapters and I'm sure you'll find one that will meet your needs. As for installing the SCSI card, it may well be that you have an ISA SCSI card that came with your 5p and i'm betting that if your pc only has usb ports it won't have ISA slots inside either. You can get PCI > SCSI cards from Adaptec (www.adaptec.com).

Bear in mind that there are lots of different types of SCSI port, so make sure you get the correct one for your scanner (check the 5p manual at http://www.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/support_doc/bps01785.html).

If your PC only has USB i'm guessing it's fairly new and therefore high enough spec. that installing a SCSI card wouldn't cause too much of a drain on system resources.
working harder, making better, doing faster makes us stronger