108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Security Level Configuration Red Hat 8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

Security Level Configuration Red Hat 8

I have installed Red Hat 8 server on a machine that is going to be used as an Apache Web Server. I am able to browse my CGI scripts from this machine but not from any remote machines. When trying to browse from a remote machine I get page not found. I beleive my problem is that the Red Hat security level is set to high which won't allow incoming WWW (HTTP). I am not that familiar with Red Hat, but it looks like you should be able to change this on the fly with the security level gui. Yet when I try it always switches back to high. I have also tried a couple of reinstalls, both at the medium level and no firewall, and when the server comes up the security level is high. Does anyone know how to change this security level?

Thanks,

Jason
3 REPLIES 3
Balaji N
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Security Level Configuration Red Hat 8

hi
first to ensure that the problem is with firewall, stop the firewall service and then see if it works.

service iptables stop

now see if the scripts work.

then, service iptables start

and then redhat-config-firewall (not pretty sure, write redhat-config and press tab to see the choice) and then in the configuration, select customize and then give allow incoming www. (or something similar).

when u start up the firewall configuration(lokkit?), by default it shows high even if the configuration is not high. i guess that is the problem you are facing.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

jason,
how abt spending some time assigning points to the replies for ur post.
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

Balaji,

Thanks for the help. I just assumed that since I saw high security it was still set at high. I didn't know that that was the default when you brought up the gui. I tried browsing across the network and it works great.

This just proves the old saying when you assume.

Thanks for the help.

Jason