1752781 Members
6647 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Selecting a Linux distribution for Proliant servers

wobbe
Respected Contributor

Selecting a Linux distribution for Proliant servers

I'm looking for a linux distribution to run on proliant DL360G4 or DL380G5 servers. I want to use it as a host o.s for VMware Server 1.02. I know vmware support a number of linux distutions but how do these perform on proliant servers. I'm planning to test cent o.s. but maybee there is a better candidate out there. And how about 32 / 64 bit, what do I choose and why?
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Choose only certified linux versions. Normally, you only can chosse between Red Hat and SUSE. Check the server quickspecs for detailed information about operating systems support.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
wobbe
Respected Contributor

The quickspecs only mentions Red Hat, SuSe and UnitedLinux. That is not a lot and it's certainly not detailed. Does this mean that the old Rad Hat enterprise linux 2.2 will run on these newer servers? Off course it will run but will it support all the features of the new hardware? And how about Fedora, this is after all a sort of Red Had product. Maybe I should have mentioned that I├в m looking for a free Linux distribution that will run stabile on the proliant DL360/380 G4/G5 servers.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you take "free Linux" as "no cost", probably CentOS will fit your purposes, as centos is "cost free" and it's an exact "Red Hat Enterprise Clone".
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

There are detailed lists of linux certifications for Proliants and other HP products under http://linux.hp.com .
Follow the link to "Certification & support".
Then follow the link to "ProLiant and BladeSystem Servers". That links to a page with a table of systems and specific linux distributions. Click on the tabs across the top of the table to view information for various distribution 'vendors'.

The only 'free' distribution there is debian. Not as many systems have been tested with debian yet. The DL360G4 is not listed there yet for debian. But the DL380G5 is as tested with debian sarge.

There is also a non-HP wiki at http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant that summarizes folks experiences using debian releases on Proliant servers. That includes reports on DL360G4 systems. They don't look encouraging.