1752664 Members
5450 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sending a text message to a pager

Helen Navarro-Yuen
Occasional Advisor

Sending a text message to a pager

I would like to know the simplest way to send a message to my pager and my lotus notes address if a file system runs out of space or a cron daemon is stopped.

I am running on a HP-UX 11.0 system. Before I start to write a script, I test sendmail to a local user in my box and it works. But when I test sendmail to my lotus notes or my pager as follows and it does not work.
# echo "Test page" | mailx -s "outside mail" myname@verizon.com
# echo "Test page" | mailx -s "outside mail" 123456@archwireless.net

Did I miss some steps in setup? I do check that the process sendmail is running.

#ps -ef | grep sendmail
root 1010 1 0 Mar 7 ? 0:13 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25

Am I missing some steps? Do I need to add something in the /etc/hosts file or do I need to change the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf?
11 REPLIES 11
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Re: Sending a text message to a pager

Hi Helen

I send message likt this

echo " merge started " | sendmail 5712157544@mobile.att.net

Also you can use -v option to send it in verbose mode to know exactly where it stops incase it is not working.

Manoj Srivastava
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Helen,

Are you able to send mails to the internet from your server. You may have to use a mail relay to forward all your internet emails to the internet through your mail server. If you want to configure a mail relay use the DS macro.

Try this link from itrc on how to configure a mail relay,

http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=61718f5e08827a3b71/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000045145919

Hope this helps.

Regds
Helen Navarro-Yuen
Occasional Advisor

I am not sure if I am able to send mails to the internet from your server. But I do run sendmail to my pager 123456@archwireless.net and this does not work.

What is mail relay?
How can I find out what mail relay can I set to DS?

When I do nslookup I got this.
# nslookup archwireless.net
Using /etc/hosts on: hosta

looking up FILES
*** No address information is available for "archwireless.net"

Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Helen,

Try this,

nslookup

>www.archwireless.net
> exit

This should return the ip address as 208.157.79.14

Our email setup works like this,

hp server --> Mail relay --> Mail server --> Internet

We submit all our mails to the relay which forwards them to the mail server which in turns forward them to the internet or to another mail server in the company depending on where the mail is destined for.

The DS macro in the sendmail.cf is used to configure the mail relay server. do a vi on /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and look for the DS Macro /^DS

If you know the name or ip address of the relay server, set it over there, restart sendmail and try sending the email again. Send a test email to your hotmail / yahoo account and test if you have one.

Hope this helps.

regds

Helen Navarro-Yuen
Occasional Advisor

I ran nslookup and did not get back an ip address.
# nslookup

> www.archwireless.net

looking up FILES
*** No address information is available for "www.archwireless.net"
> exit

I think my box has not been configured to sendmail to an internet address. What am I missing here?
Helen Navarro-Yuen
Occasional Advisor

I found the following error in /var/adm/syslog/mail.log file.

Mar 25 22:01:00 hosta sendmail[409]: unable to qualify my own domain name (hosta) -- using short name
Mar 25 22:01:00 hosta sendmail[409]: be sure to set domain name in Dj macro in
sendmail.cf
Mar 25 22:01:00 hosta sendmail[409]: WAA00409: from=root, size=256, class=0, pr
i=30256, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200203260301.WAA00409@hosta.>, relay=root@localhost
Mar 25 22:01:00 hosta sendmail[412]: WAA00409: to=ldadmin, ctladdr=root (0/3),
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sen
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Helen,

The problem is that your HP-UX box isn't resolving internet addresses.

/etc/resolv.conf lists addresses of name servers your system would use to resolve internet addresses

/etc/nsswitch.conf tells your system which methods should be used to resolve a name.

Example from my system:
# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# DNS client configuration
search local.domain other.domain
nameserver 123.45.67.89
nameserver 234.56.78.90

# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd: files nis+
group: files nis+
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue] nis+ [NOTFOUND=continue] dns

((lots of options available under this heading, see man nsswitch.conf))

Best regards.
Mark
Helen Navarro-Yuen
Occasional Advisor

My box does not use DNS. Is there any other way to get my box to resolve the internet addresses?

I also found out that I have two proxy ip address in my hosts file. Will there be any firewall issue too?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Helen,

DNS is the simplest and least troublesome way to resolve internet addresses. Can you configure the system to use a resolver and a nameserver to use DNS resolution. Once you have done that, you'll have to configure the sendmail on your server. Your company should be having a DNS server and it should not be a problem to use that as a nameserver. Try this link on how to configure the resolver,

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/B2355-90685_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/00/00/26-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/00/00/26-toc.html&searchterms=resolv.conf&queryid=20020327-220021

Here is how you configure the nsswitch.conf file,

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/B2355-90685_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/00/00/8-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/00/00/8-toc.html&searchterms=nsswitch.conf&queryid=20020327-220103

If you cannot use a DNS resolver, you can still send emails to the internet if your company has a mail server or a mail relay. You'll have to configure the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and add the mail relay name over there, add the mail server/relay name and ip to the /etc/hosts file. Configure masqarading for the domain using DM macro.

Hope this helps.

Regds