108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sendmail Error messages

SOLVED
Go to solution
Global Server Operation
Frequent Advisor

Sendmail Error messages

I have a N4000 server running 11.i Anyone have any idea what this message I received in the mail.log means?

Mar 11 15:55:20 usahs100 sendmail[15766]: i27M03x29806: timeout waiting for inpu
t from local during Draining Input
Mar 11 15:55:20 usahs100 sendmail[22734]: i28A03C21114: timeout waiting for inpu
Mar 11 15:55:20 usahs100 sendmail[3047]: i29805C15303: timeout waiting for input
from local during Draining Input
Mar 11 15:55:20 usahs100 sendmail[17211]: i2AM04605452: timeout waiting for inpu
Mar 11 15:55:20 usahs100 sendmail[28957]: i29605k05504: timeout waiting for inpu
7 REPLIES 7
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

Which version of sendmail?
echo \$Z | /usr/sbin/sendmail -bt -d

Check out:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/smenhanced.html

Make sure that the local delivery agent does not generate (too much) output that is sent back to sendmail. Moreover, it must properly close the communication channel.

You might try to increase the timeout on the sendmail side, or decrease the timeout on the procmail side (where it is waiting to get a lock).

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Thsi is a 'minor' known problem with sendmail.

http://www.sendmail.org/%7Eca/email/smenhanced.html

Minor known problems in sendmail
[to be filled in when I have more time, see the RELEASE_NOTES of the latest version]
Delivery to programs that generate too much output may cause problems (8.10, 8.11)
If e-mail is delivered to a program which generates too much output, then sendmail may issue an error:

timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input

Make sure that the program does not generate output beyond a status message (corresponding to the exit status). This may require a wrapper around the actual program to redirect output to /dev/null.
Such a problem has been reported for bulk_mailer.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Global Server Operation
Frequent Advisor

Sendmail version is 8.11.1
Global Server Operation
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies. One question The link mentioned putting a wrapper around the program. Would this be the program that is generating the sendmail messages is there something within OS I need to perform?
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I believe the wrapper they mention is to redirect output to /dev/null.

So, if you are calling sendmail from a script or cron, >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Looks like you have latest HP version of sendmail...

Do a :

swlist -l product |grep send

SMAIL-811 B.11.11.01.006 sendmail(1m) 811 special release upgrade

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Yes. I've googled around some on this and found that the root cause of the problem could be DNS resolution issues. Basically sendmail is having problems resolving host names to IP addresses, and with large deliveries it causes problems.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200203/msg02020.html

The performance tuning section of the following link may give you some hints at what to try next, as well.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/README.SENDMAIL
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Global Server Operation
Frequent Advisor

Does the mail still get sent when these messages occur?