Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sendmail Is Doing My Head In

Tony Smith_1
Occasional Advisor

Sendmail Is Doing My Head In

When I try to send mail to myself on a HP-UX 11.00 machine I get the following response:

# mailx -s test1 user@host.domain
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
# user@host.domain... User unknown
/dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter

#

My /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:

passwd: files
group: files
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue] dns
services: files
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
publickey: files
netgroup: files
automount: files
aliases: files

Our DNS has MX records for all users on our network. What I really want to be able to do is:

1. If a mail is addressed to user@server.domain then it is delivered locally on server.domain.

2. Use the /etc/mail/alias file to be able to run a program, etc.

4. If a mail is addressed to anyone not on the local server it is redirected to the mail hub servers listed in the DNS MX records.
3 REPLIES
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail Is Doing My Head In

Hi,

Let us know what is in your /etc/sendmail.cw file.

All forms of name resolving should be in there.

like:
localhost
sultan
sultan.domain.com
sultan.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

when you are sending mail to someone on the same server you can drop the domain name

mailx -s TEST username

cheers
John.
Tony Walker
Frequent Advisor

Hi Tony,

First off, the null message body can be overcome with:
mailx -s "TEST" username << "TEST".
I would then check the /etc/mail/aliases file to ensure that sendmail knows who you are and where to send the mail. If this exists, try a sendmail -bv username and it will confirm whether the address is deliverable or not.

Tony W