3821 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Sendmail Server

UniRock
Regular Advisor

Sendmail Server

Hi All..

How can I know the name of my sendmail server????
I have attached below outputs.

# more sendmail.cf
# cat /etc/rc.config.d/mailservs
# sendmail -bs
# sendmail -v abc@xyz.com

Please advice.
Thanks..
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail Server

Based on the prompt visible in your attachment, and the outputs of "sendmail -bs" and "sendmail -v abc@xyz.com", the name of your sendmail server is currently de01src2.am.mot.com.

Did you mean to ask "What should I put into SENDMAIL_SERVER_NAME= on /etc/rc.config.d/mailservs?"

If you also have SENDMAIL_SERVER=1, you should normally leave SENDMAIL_SERVER_NAME empty.

If your goal is to make this machine rely on a central mail server somewhere in your site, _ask the email systems administrator of your site_.

After you know the name of the mail server you should use at your site, you have two options.

When an email is sent from this system (de01src2), do you want the From: address of it look like

a) username@de01src2.am.mot.com

or

b) username@xyz.com ?
(assuming that xyz.com is your real public domain name)

In case a), you should leave the SENDMAIL_SERVER_NAME empty and put the name of the central mail server to sendmail.cf on the "DS" line. In other words change sendmail.cf so that

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

becomes

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSyourmailserver.xyz.com

In case b), set SENDMAIL_SERVER_NAME=yourmailserver.xyz.com and restart sendmail. In this case, the administrator of the central mail server may have to configure something too. (For example, if the usernames at de01src2 don't exactly match the mail usernames used at the central mail server, the central server needs to do some aliasing/remapping to correct the addresses.)

MK
MK