108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sendmail compile errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christine S Feeley
Occasional Advisor

Sendmail compile errors

I am trying to install the latest version of Sendmail to meet some local vulnerability requirements, and everytime I run the build command, it seems to recognize the appropriate OS and other variables seem correct. However, I get the following results:

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/mailstats
Configuration: pfx=, os=HP-UX, rel=11.23, rbase=11, rroot=11.23, arch=ia64, sfx=, variant=optimized
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/mailstats
rm -f sm_os.h
ln -f -s ../../include/sm/os/sm_os_hp.h sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o mailstats mailstats.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmutil/libsmutil.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
(Bundled) cc: warning 922: "-Ae" is unsupported in the bundled compiler, ignored.
ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -ldbm
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/makemap
Configuration: pfx=, os=HP-UX, rel=11.23, rbase=11, rroot=11.23, arch=ia64, sfx=, variant=optimized
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/makemap
rm -f sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o makemap makemap.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmdb/libsmdb.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmutil/libsmutil.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
(Bundled) cc: warning 922: "-Ae" is unsupported in the bundled compiler, ignored.
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/praliases
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/praliases
rm -f sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o praliases praliases.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmdb/libsmdb.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmutil/libsmutil.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/rmail
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/rmail
rm -f sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o rmail rmail.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/smrsh
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/smrsh
rm -f sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o smrsh smrsh.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
Making all in:
/sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/vacation
Making in /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/vacation
rm -f sm_os.h
cc -Ae -o vacation vacation.o /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmdb/libsmdb.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsmutil/libsmutil.a /sysadmin/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/obj.HP-UX.11.23.ia64/libsm/libsm.a -ldbm -lnsl
Fatal error.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
---------------------------------------------

Any ideas?? I have check file permissions and I can't see anything wrong.
3 REPLIES 3
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Sendmail compile errors

I am just guessing may be you need a "better" C compiler. The bundled CC is supposed to be used only for kernel building.

Install any ANSI complaint C compiler or download gcc from http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/

Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You have a couple of problems:

The -Ae warning is telling you that you are using the bundled c compiler which is really only intended for building kernels. You really need to use a development compiler (not free) like the ANSI C compiler or download gcc from one of the HP-UX Porting Centre's.

The missing -ldbm is linker shorthand for "libdbm.a" (archive version) or "libdbm.1" or "libdbm.sl" (shared library version). There are standard locations to search for these libraries (typically in /usr/lib/). See if you can find them and move them to there or add -L options to augment the linker's search path. Man cc for details. Finally, you may have the libraries but they are the PA-RISC versions and you need the IA64 versions --- or vice versa.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Christine S Feeley
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to both of you. With both replies, I was able to resolve the issue. I had been looking at it all day and was starting to overlook the obvious.

Cheers!