5801 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sendmail issues

Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Sendmail issues

Guru's,
I have an issue with some mail. I have some mailing coming from This addess: oto_training@blah.blah.mil

However this account does not exist on this server. How can I find where this mail is coming from?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
8 REPLIES 8
TTr
Honored Contributor

I assume you are on an HP-UX server. You have to check the /var/adm/syslog/mail.log file and find out exactly where the message came from. Search in the mail.log file using the recipient and the delivery date as search strings to find the log records. The "from" address is very easy to change when sending mail.
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

best practice is to allow outbound mail only, no inbound mail to the system.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

My apologies, yes I am running HP-UX 11.11 I have searched the mail.log and I have searched for the string, but there are no entries for it. That is what lost me. Is there somewhere else it could be logging to?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

John, we do only allow outgoing mail.
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

If it is outbound only, how do you receive email?
maybe check DM entry in sendmail.cf file to see masquerading setting.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

The issue is that the e-mail I recieved (in Microsoft Outlook) was sent from this oto_training account, but the account doesn't exist on the UNIX server that it was sent from.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Found the alias. Sorry to bother guys.
TTr
Honored Contributor

What mail system does outlook read email from? Is it Exchange or something else? That's where you need to check the logs to see where the message was sent. If it is exchange, talk to the exchange admin.

Also in outlook, open the message in its own window and go to the View menu and select options (it may be slightly different in different outlook versions). In the message options window look in the "Internet headers" text box. In there you will find the sendmail header information for this message and you will see where it came from. If this box is empty, it means the message came from another internal exchange address, you need to talk to the exchange admin to check the logs.