Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sendmail relaying to outside mail server.

Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Sendmail relaying to outside mail server.

I am trying to setup sendmail to relay to an outside mail service "mail.mycompany.com". It requires a login and password, how do I set this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Tim
1 REPLY
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail relaying to outside mail server.

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailservers.html

Very briefly, here's the method given there (assuming that "sendmail" is a wrapper for postfix):

1. Assume the ISP access URL, username, and password are "smtp.isp.com", "uname", and "pwd". Append the line
Code:
smtp.isp.com uname:pwdto the file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.

2. Create the file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db with the command

Code:
postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd3. Insert the lines

Code:
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtp_sasl_security_options =4. Reload postfix with
Code:
postfix reloadThere's one more essential step for getting the mail command to work that does not involve postfix. In your php5.conf file, insert the line

Code:
sendmail_path = sendmail -t -i -f myaddr@myisp.netWithout this, the mail relay at your ISP will almost certainly attempt to send an acknowledgment,
which will bounce and cause your mail not to be sent.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law