1748162 Members
3714 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Servcie Level Agreement between SA's and DBA's

Steve Barlow_5
Advisor

Not harsh at all Paula. It's not that I disagree with anything being said here. It's just that I've been asked to create a document outlining the services the DBA's should expect of the the SA's. I am sure the reverse will be requested as well.

In all liklihood the document will generate some interest amongst management to solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this posting.

Steve
Krishna Prasad
Trusted Contributor

Interesting that you stated management knows of the problem and they are asking you to reslolve the problem. My question is what is management doing to fix this problem?

Shouldn't management setup the structure for the two groups to work together and support your business and end-users?
Positive Results requires Positive Thinking
Steve Barlow_5
Advisor

That would certainly be true in a perfect world. I'm not going to go there though.

I'm just going to draft a document that is more roles and responsibilities related than service level related. I'll run it up the flagpole and see what comes of it.

I think if I define those terms then we can begin to talk about where there is cross-over and about areas where one side or the other has primary responsibility.

Thanks everyone!

Steve
Jon_7
Occasional Advisor

Steve,
I recommend backing away from the DBA/SA trees so you can see the forest. Most SLA's are about percent up time, and response time. I see few people talking on this subject. Maybe they have never worked on an SLA document before but it entails: uptime percentage and what happens, if it is violated, provisions for all parties envolved clearly defining duties, before,during and after outage, including outage reports and accountability. A system in place to provide for scheduled downtime and people responsible for signing off on the downtime, if they sign off and complain later too bad. I recommend a structured aproach involving the customers, (end users), Management of all parties, and looking up what an SLA looks like for other more developed fields like networking/telcom. Also outages require Mean Time to Repair, and reports for preventing them in the future. I hope some of this was helpful. Good luck.

They don't have a certifications for being a creator, and just having the bigest IT magic wand, ccie is close, but not till they drop token ring and add, PoS, I designed asics/systems/code, implementation and training, from hw/ to sw, just do it.