108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up the Desktop

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Setting up the Desktop

I had got some help for my other questions in this forum. I am asking a different question and probably the same experts who helped me earlier will help me here.
1. I need to log in as a user and get my normal desktop but also open 4 terminal windows at the time of login (with the $ prompt). I would like to place those windows with specific size and place them on the desktop at a place that I choose. I also want to run a shell script program in a X-window alongside. Is this possible? I am sure it is. How do I do that?.

2. The x-window I open now manually doesn't behave like the X-window on CDE desktop on HP-UX. How can I make the Xwindow on Linux respond the same smooth way in which the HP-UX window behaves. (There I can right click on the menu item on the shell script that is running and it gets selected. On Linux I have to click and drag till the end of the line to select a menu item!. Or am I doing something wrong in defining Xwindows in Linux... )

3. Is there a way of emulating a HP-UX within Linux by any chance. I know this is a wild question, but with the problems I had with trasferring HPUX shell scripts to Linux, I am looking for an easy solution to transfer the applications.

Your valuable answers are very much appreciated.
Thanks
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

I'm not sure you are going to like these answers

1. HP-UX is going to be rolling out gnome as its X-Windows environment. I've heard that from several people, though nobody will go on the record. CDE is an endangered species.

You can set up gnome desktops and replicate them to users by copying the .gnome files and directories.

2. gnome, the default Linux X-Windows has been engineered to behave like Windows. It even has the little x for killing applications. I don't think thats a good thing but nobody consulted me on that.

3. the bash shell works a lot like the korn shell or posix. Most of my scripts do work.

To make scripts work, I just copy the bash shell to the normal ksh location and then the HP-UX scripts work.

I have mirgrated several nice features back and forth between the environments.

I really like Linux's service funtion for stopping and starting services. I'v ported it to HP-UX/

Let me know what specific functionality you want and I'll give you the script. I might even write it for you.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Hello

to position an xterm window you can

xterm -sl 2000 -ls -sb -cr red -T \`hostname\` -fg black -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15B -geom 82X45+200+20 &

This will start an xterm at position (-geom 82X45+200+20) the position is set by 200+20

have a look in man xterm for the meaning of other parameters.

create other xterm's at different positions you soon get the hang of it

once you agree with the the positions put all your positioned xterm into a shell script.

have a look at man page xinit if you want the x startup to invoke this for all users.

Hope this will help you get started

Jean-Pierre

Smile I will feel the difference
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

Let me correct some information that was given earlier...

HP-UX did release a version of GNOME 1.4. While there were plans at one point in time to make this the default desktop and support it, these plans have been dropped. CDE is the only supported desktop on HP-UX for the foreseeable future.

I think that you can achieve what you want on Linux, but HOW you do it will vary. You've got a variety of options, both at the session management (restoring windows), window manager (window behavior), and terminal emulator level.

In overall desktop selection, you generally have GNOME and KDE. Note that there is a lot of variability in the behavior of the desktops between revisions, since these projects are under active and sometimes conflicting development.

GNOME's 2.0 window manager seems very much like dtwm in some ways, as does the gnome-terminal. However, I've been using KDE 3.2 for some time and like the ability of the konsole (terminal) tool to support multiple sessions within a single window. That is quite handy and reduces clutter. It also seems to behave most like an xterm. xterm, as someone pointed out, is still available and that tool might be just the thing that you need.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Steven,
Excuse me for this delayed reply. I got caught up in a few other things. Thanks for your input. I had to change several of the lines of the scripts while transporting to linux. It is almost working now except that there is one error that I am trying to figure out.
My aim is to run this script in a xterm window. This is a script to generate some CAM files for a NC machine.
I need to set it up so that it will run just as it used to work in the HP machine. In Linux I have noticed that I have right click and drag to select a menu item on the script. In HP it was just clicking on the left side of the item to be selected. Is there a way of getting that of funcitonality. Hope i am clear.
I look forward to hearing from you

Huc,
Thanks for the xterm. It works. I have a greater insight into the whole thing now...
Regard
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Steven/Jean
I hope I can get some help. This is a long time since I put this question. I hope one of the experts will see this and answer the query. I don't want to start a new thread for this old query.
Thanks
Bye
Sam