New Discussion юеВ

Several fonts missing

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Gerritse
Occasional Advisor

Several fonts missing

Hi all.

We have a problem with one of out servers that is supposed to be close to identical to those of one of our costumers to conduct software tests and such. A few of our applications use the wrong font however and I have no idea how to install the right ones.

We know what we are missing, but all standard font-depots on the HP-UX 11.11 installation CD's are installed as far as I can tell. Weird thing is that we have tested the same application on a 10.20 system and everything works fine there. Both the 10.20 and the 11.11 were installed around the same time for this migration project.

I hope someone can help me find out why these fonts are missing and how to get them, because I've been banging my head on my desk for two weeks because of this rather annoying problem I can't seem to figure out. I am keeping the option open that it is even possible these fonts had to be installed with some of the middleware (which makes it not my problem LOL), like Uniface or Oracle.

I've attached a script we used to determine what fonts we are missing and it's output.
"I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Several fonts missing

Hi,

check this doc,

Document id: MJFKBRC00006425

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062911051

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
i can assure you that Oracle 7x, 8x, 9x do not install any fonts.

I Do not know about uniface, but form the name it looks promising.....

Massimo
RolandH
Honored Contributor
Solution

Read this thread

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x7b88227a6ab4d711900a0090279cd0f9,00.html

You can copy the font dirs from the 10.20 system to the 11.11 system and use the procedure from the mentioned thread to configure the font pathes.

Or another way that you should do before this is to configure your 10.20 system first as a fontserver
10.20 system:
vi /etc/rc.config.d/xfs RUN_X_FONT_SERVER=1
/sbin/init.d/xfs start

11.11 system:
/usr/bin/X11/xset fp+ tcp/:7000

HTH
Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
John Gerritse
Occasional Advisor

Okay, I feel I am much closer to a solution, partly thanks to some suggestions on this forum, partly thanks to some help within my own organization. Thanks for the effort and suggestions all!

With the aid of a script utilizing xlsfonts, we have compared both systems, checking which fonts should be there, and which aren't. The 10.20 server displays the correct fonts, the 11i machine still doesn't. So I ran the following script on both machines:
--------------------------
#! /bin/sh

cat <
"I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

try comparing the output from xset -q on the 10.20 and 11.11 systems .... any differences.

it's possible your adobe fonts are installed but the xserver is not aware of them : it uses the catalogue line from /etc/X11/fs/config to direct it to appropriate font dirs.

Also this may help ...

Depending upon your LANG you could try editing the appropriate fonts.alias files.

The fonts.alias files are used to map a requested font name to a font that actually exists on the system. By default, the /usr/lib/X11/fonts/iso_8859.1/75dpi/fonts.alias file contains entries that appear as follows :

"-dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-xxs sans-10-100-72-72-p-61-iso8859-1" "-hp-hp system-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-72-72-p-61-iso8859-1"

This line could be updated to reflect the modification to the locale on the system :

"-dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-xxs sans-10-100-72-72-p-61-iso8859-1" "-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1"

Once these modifications are complete for each -dt-... font referenced within these font.alias files, your HP CDE environment will be set-up to use the -adobe-courier-... iso88591 fonts, rather than HP-specific fonts.