7833 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Showing printer errors on remote screen

SOLVED
Go to solution
Xaviea Bell

Showing printer errors on remote screen

Hi I am new to this and I obviously have a question. I want to set up the capability to have the printer's errors/exceptions (out of paper, printer jam) mailed to me or have a way for me to check every so often to see if it has had any errors. Any help with this will be perfect. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Phil Crooker
Advisor
Solution

Re: Showing printer errors on remote screen

Are you using HPDPS (HP Distributed Print Service)? Although this system is quite a hassle to configure, you can get these types of errors to be emailed.

To start, have a look at "What is HPDPS" under Printers and Plotters / HPDPS in SAM, they are reasonably detailed.

Good luck.
Mauro Gatti
Valued Contributor

I think you can also try to use snmp trap mechanism.

RGDS

Mauro
Ubi maior, minor cessat!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Printers are disabled whenever the printer script returns a non-zero exit code. There is no mechanism in lp to send a mail message so you would have to modify each of the printer scripts to use a trap for all signals (including zero which is a normal exit) and check for the condition. lp printing is very primitive so paper jams or out of paper are not detected because printing is one-way. Now with HP's JetDirect connections, you have a lot more options in the interface script and the hpnpadmin tool can provide a lot of details. But none of these changes will catch a user that manually disables the printer (the disable command).

So the best solution is to create a script that uses lpstat to find problems. Start with lpstat -r and make sure the scheduler is actually running--send an email message if not. Then check the status of each printer. NOTE: lpstat -t will give you detailed info on all printers but for remote printers where the server is not working right, it will delay for 30 seconds or so.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Xaviea Bell

Thanks to everyones help. I am going to set up the HPDPS system because I didnt realize it exsited and it sounds very helpful. For the time being I am going to try the script. Thanks once again.