Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backup and kernel upgrade.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Slow backup and kernel upgrade.

I have a DL360 with dual 1266MHz processors, 2GB memory, and two 18.2 GB hard drives mirrored using the integrated controller. Partitions are formatted as ext3.

I have noticed that the backup is up to 10 times slower than similar systems we have using ext2 instead of ext3. I am not utilizing any of the journaling capabilities of the filesystem.

In addition, I have tried to upgrade the kernel from 2.4.7-10smp to 2.4.9-34smp. I have tried using RHN and building one manually. In each case, the machine hangs after the "Uncompressing linux..." message comes up on the console. I have tried booting with 2.4.9-34 kernel with similar results.

Disk Config:[jzimmer@la_app2 jzimmer]$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ida/c0d0p2 3.8G 2.9G 768M 80% /
/dev/ida/c0d0p7 6.4G 414M 5.6G 7% /opt
none 1.0G 0 1.0G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/ida/c0d0p6 2.5G 134M 2.2G 6% /var
[jzimmer@la_app2 jzimmer]$ mount
/dev/ida/c0d0p2 on /