1753797 Members
7235 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Slow printing

Slow printing

Laserjett 8000, takes a 5 sec break between every printing originating from unix server.
Prints, from the local NT network are ok.

What details do you need?
If it ain't rough it ain't me
7 REPLIES 7
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Re: Slow printing

Pauses between consecutive pages of a single print job from a single UNIX server?

Pauses between different print jobs from a single UNIX server? Multiple UNIX servers?

Printing from UNIX directly to printer via JetDirect or lpr? Or via lpr to a Winblows box that spools for the printer?

Are print jobs with pauses text? Graphics? Anything that requires page composition time?

Is the delay between action in the print engine from job to job? Does the printer front panel indicate incoming data during the pause?

Pauses between consecutive pages of a single print job from a single UNIX server?

Printing from UNIX directly to printer via lpr?

Could via lpr to a Winblows box that spools for the printer solved the pb?

Print jobs are text
Nothing that requires page composition time

I'll check if the printer front panel indicate incoming data during the pause?
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Is it possible the print driver script is using hpnpf to send the print job and hpnpf has the -s option (monitors status of the printer)?

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
John Donovan
Regular Advisor

I had a similiar problem. I resolved it by using the LJ 4 script instead of the LJ8000. At that time I was using the older jetadmin software. I'm sure this would hold true for the newer HP Printer Installer. I haven't taken the time to discover exactly why it works.

--donovan
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

When using jetdirect to configure, I found that if you enable true end of job slower printing between jobs will occur.

There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

From my experience, it definately is the EOJ option turned on that makes it go slower between pages.

I've fixed it by first assign a matrix printer for jetdirect to detect. Then, brought back the HP8000, and all worked fine.
It definitely seems to be related to drivers