8191 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart on DL585 AMD opteron, SLES9 SP2

Brendan Murphy_5
Frequent Advisor

SmartStart on DL585 AMD opteron, SLES9 SP2

Hi,
I have a SLES9 SP2 install with PSP7.40. The system reboots at irregular intervals. No info in system logs, the only info is in the IML which shows an ASR timeout ... but no other data. I tried to run the smartstart CD to run the offline diagnostic tool, but this just hangs while scanning the system at 93% complete. I have since shown that this is not a Linux issue because the system boots from SAN, so I had another identical DL585 boot from the LUN. It remained up an functional all night. Similarly I booted the offndeing hardware from a LUN known to be OK. This failed with the ASR reboot. The question I have is why is the Smartstart CD hanging during the scan os the system hardware. At one point I decided it was because there was no local disk, so I installed a local disk in the SmartArray & enabled it. The server booted to windows 2003 OK. I then rebooted from the smartstart & again it hung while scanning the system at 93%.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Brendan Murphy
3 REPLIES 3
Brendan Murphy_5
Frequent Advisor

Re: SmartStart on DL585 AMD opteron, SLES9 SP2

Hi All,
Not too impressed with the rapid response!!! FYI, I now have an answer to my question. I reviewed the psp install log. It shows that the hpdiags kit does not get installed because there is not currently one compatable wit the AMD opteron architecture (i86_64). I assume this means that the smartstart CD doesn't have a compatable version either. I do wish it had said that though, rather than giving the impression it was trying to do something.

Regards,

Brendan
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

For future hangs, it may be useful to install and configure LKCD.

If you need faster response, you may subscribe a Linux support contrat from your nearest HP office.

Regards,
Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Brendan Murphy_5
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kodjo,
Thanks for your response. FYI, the hangs did not occur while booted to Linux, it happened while using the SmartStart CD to boot to the offline diags. I did this because the hpdiags kit was not installed as part of the Proliant Support Pack V7.40.

Thanks for the info on LKCD. I checked & it comes installed as part of the SLES9 install, along with netdump. I should look a bit closer on how this works.

The kit is new & we haven't had the contract id's provided to us yet, but they'll be going on Mission Critical contract.

Thanks Again

Brendan