1752528 Members
4547 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Some system settings periodically change

Doug Brown_2
Occasional Contributor

Some system settings periodically change

I'm working on a C3000 box running hp-ux 11 and about every three days a few settings change when I log in. For instance, the screen saver time reverts back to the default. Can anyone give me some ideas.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Are you staying logged in through your CDE session? If you are logged in and the server reboots or your session is terminated in someway, your CDE setting revert to the inital profile.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

GL,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What I always do in CDE:

I get everything set to my liking, then within 'Style Manager' go into 'Startup' and click on the 'Set Home Session...' button. This will set your current session to your home session. The in the 'At Login:' section of that same window I select 'Return to Home session' so that it always goes back to those same settings when I relogin.

I've done this for years and never had any trouble with setting going awry.
Doug Brown_2
Occasional Contributor

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. I wasn't very clear. My home sessions are set to what I want they won't stay there. I beleive the problem to be box related because I am the only one using hp-ux 11. All others are on 10.XX and have no problems. Ant other suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Possibly you should go to later patches

Extract from

Patch Name: PHSS_25787

Patch Description: s700_800 11.00 CDE Runtime DEC2001 Periodic Patch

Creation Date: 01/11/26

Post Date: 01/12/18

6. In non-HP servers (Sun, ReflectionX, etc),
screen blanking time is not retained if
it is > 30 minutes.

Is this the case then go to the latest CDE X Motif Xserver patches

Steve steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Doug,
I understood what you meant, maybe I was not clear. Let me see if I can make sure we all understand each other.

- Your C3000 is running 11.00.
- You log in to that box at the console/ monitor through CDE
- Every so often when you log in, your home session is changed, and it appears you are logging in for the first time.

I have seen this before, on a C3000 to be exact. This happened when users would not end their CDE session and either the box was rebooted or dtlogin was restarted while their CDE session was current. In that case the default home session was the session used, not the one the user configured.

If this is not the case please let us know.

C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Doug Brown_2
Occasional Contributor

Craig,
We are on the right track now. The box is rebooted nightly at 12:00, but I'm logged out at that time. What can be done to fix the problem?

Doug
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Doug,
I don't know that this is considered a bug by HP, thus I don't think they have developed a "fix". I told my users who had this problem that they had to log out of CDE at the end of each day to prevent this. This meant that unless their screen was showing the CDE black and gray CDE login window, there stood a chance they could lose their session. I know this is not the answer you are looking for but that's what I've got.

Craig