Operating System - Microsoft
1748181 Members
4257 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sound not working one bit.

Addison Kowalski

Sound not working one bit.

I reformated my HP about 3 months ago. I did it with a windows XP disc, and not the recovery disc. When it reformated, I tried to play some music and it said,
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

I then called the HP center and talked to a tech. She was stumped and said she had no clue on why. Sad to say, I deleted the partition.

I tried installing a new sound card, but the computer doesn't pick it up under recnetly added hardware. I have tried almost everything. If anyone can help, please, help me out. I've had this problem for atleast three months.
4 REPLIES 4
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

Hello Addison

We really need to know the full model number of your HP machine to provide good assistance.

If yours be a pavilion, direct help is available here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=405

We also use documents and troubleshooting available from the HP support and drivers site...available to you via the link supplied at page top here. There too one must know the complete model number.

Advise

I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

you need to download and install the proper sound board driver from the hardware vender.

Also check your post bois to make sure its not disabled.

finally check the cables, it might not be plugged in properly.........

Jim
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

You also need to access the bios on this HP so you might disable the onboard sound. See this thread for a discussion on bios:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=115754
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

finally, check to make sure the card (if there is one) is fully seated. i've seen this cause all kinds of fun problems.

one bit sound, that's a good one :-) clever
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.