4216 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Stand-by problems

Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Stand-by problems

Hello,

recently I have the following problem with my laptop. I have thinkpad R40 (IBM), and when it wakes up from stand-by it doesn't resume usb cdrw/dvd. I have to pull it out and reconnect so it will recongnize it.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanx.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
7 REPLIES 7
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Re: Stand-by problems

Alex,

Is there a BIOS update available?

I would not be surprised if there is no solution for this one.

- Jay
check Facebook
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Hey, to be honest I don't want to update the BIOS. I don't trust them.

It worked fine with the old BIOS too ....
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Were there any hardware or software installations or upgrades which may have triggered this problem?

- Jay
check Facebook
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

This appended MS article seems to be related to your problem. I would check to make sure that you are not somehow running an old version of atapi.sys. I assume you are running winXP SP2 with all critical updates installed.

++++++++++++++

Computer Hangs When You Resume from Hibernation or Standby if Your Ultra Bay Has a UDMA Device
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 317087
Last Review : September 27, 2005
Revision : 1.1
This article was previously published under Q317087
SYMPTOMS
If the following conditions exist, your IBM ThinkPad laptop computer may stop responding (hang): 1. You hot docked your IBM ThinkPad laptop computer to a docking station that has a UDMA-capable device (such as CD-ROM or DVD drive) in the ThinkPad Ultra bay.
2. You placed your IBM ThinkPad laptop computer into Hibernation mode or Standby mode.
3. You resumed your IBM ThinkPad laptop computer from hibernation or standby.

CAUSE
This problem may be caused when the ATAPI driver (Atapi.sys) sends a command to the IDE controller before the driver is fully initialized.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Version Size File name
--------------------------------------------------
30-Jan-2002 14:49 5.1.2600.28 86,912 Atapi.sys

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

APPLIES TO
├в ┬в Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
├в ┬в Microsoft Windows XP Professional

++++++++++++++
check Facebook
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Thanx, I already saw this one.

The laptop is up to date with all patches.

And the problem currently disappeared, maybe restart helped or may be there was something ... I don't know ... Windows operates in the mysterious ways :)

Thanx for the help!

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

A BIOS update worked for this guy:

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t52171-ibm-tp-240-standby-problem.html

If it worked correctly in the past, I think the most likely cause is a hardware change, or software installation / update, including MS updates. The critical updates are usually OK, it's the optional updates which can cause problems.

I don't think a BIOS update can be ruled out, just because it worked previously. Perhaps some software update needs an updated BIOS to work properly. We have some Dell laptop models which have had 20 BIOS revisions. I don't know why any laptop model should have so many BIOS revisions.

- Jay
check Facebook
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Don't you just hate that when the PC starts working again and you didn't really do anything?

mind blower for sure....

Rich