Operating System - HP-UX
1752463 Members
5819 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Still Learnin' Here. . .How to Read Storage Info?

Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Still Learnin' Here. . .How to Read Storage Info?

When I perform the bdf command on our HP-UX 10.20 box, I notice that several /u## filesystems are at 100%. However, when I go into the Storage Manager from Enterprise Manager, the datafiles there show that there is plenty of space available (most are less than 10% capacity!). Which one do I believe? Is HP-UX reporting allocated space verses actual usage? Is the Storage Manager lying to me? What am I to make of this? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA
3 REPLIES 3
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

This is normal.

The datafiles on UNIX are created for Oracle, but do not grow.
In Enterprose manager you are seeing how full up these datafiles are.

If you increase storage in Oracle you will need to increase the filesystem on UNIX first to create the extra space to extend.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

This is correct !

Oracle has allocated the space for it's own usage, but it is not using it yet. But since it claimed the space, HP-UX has no more access to it, and reports 100% usage.
If you do not expect the amount of data in your database to grow, you can "resize" the datafiles in charge to shrink them.

Hope this helps
Volker
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Thanks to both of you, that clears things up a lot!

Now, on the same lines, I see that our "system" tablespace is down to it's last 250MB or so. Is there a way to clean out some of the older data to get some space back or is it time more disk?
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA