1748176 Members
4225 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange behavior of interface lan0

Alex_133
Advisor

Other node in the LAN are having the same MAC with the HP-UX machine, which is 0:10:83:b8:1b:cb

By checking tcpdump, I can see that there are constantly arp request/reply in/out from this machine, the MAC is updated.

Besides arp, there are other activity like netbios, dsn query, etc. Everything just seems fine from inside. I wonder why...

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Very good, Alex. Now you know that another node has the same MAC address... so you can simply set MAC address up in the hpetherconf file to another value so it will take over workstation original LAN MAC address and this way you'll solve this conflict. BTW, if another conflicting machine is hpux one, check this hpetherconf there. Maybe you simply need to remove MAC address from that file?
Eugeny
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Alex, this MAC address you mentioned "0:10:83:b8:1b:cb" is strange for B180L. First 3 bytes should be "08:00:09" - this is HP identifier (manufacturer's identifier). Check what your PDC says about station LAN address. If it shows same address, please call HP to check if this address ("00:10:83") is valid for B180L. BTW, is this LAN card you're talking about is ADD-ON card or motherboard built-in?
Eugeny
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Duplicate MACs is why one should almost never hard-code the MAC address in the "etherconf" config file for a link, and _NEVER_ use dd to clone boot discs...

As far as 080009 goes, that hasn't been the UPC on links from HP in _years_ I forget if it was that we exhausted that space, or simply started getting different MACs when we started OEMing NICs from other manufacturers.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Patch your machine with latest GR and HW enablement patch bundles. This may help
Eugeny