3561 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sybase Performance Degradation after Upgrade

Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Sybase Performance Degradation after Upgrade

Hi Experts,

One of our customer upgraded Sybase 11.2 to 12.5 and started facing problem in performance. Server is D-220 with 512MB RAM.

This machine is not with me and at a remote place. Right now I am only having this much data with me. What can we look to find out the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Syam
5 REPLIES 5
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Hey Syam,

well the first thing to ask is the OS and Sybase itself properly patched for this upgrade?

If yes, any outputs from glance/top/sar?

Alex.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Upgrading Sybase to the next major revision may be the problem. Most database revisions, especially a major revision, will likely require CPU resources. The D-220 with 512 megs of RAM is extremely undersized for all but a simple database and a few users. You can see if you are severely out of memory with vmstat. If the po column (page outs) is 2 digits or more, you need to double or triple your RAM. And read the Sybase 12.5 release notes to find the minimum requirements for RAM.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex & Bill,

Thanks for your replys.

I had already suggested my friend the same thing, like comparing the minimum requirements of the old version and the new version.

Do you think there would be any kernel parameter change required for the upgrade?

Or any kind of additional patches patches?
If patchaes are required which all should I apply.

Mean while I am going through the minimum requirements of Sybase. But I remember that the minimum memroy required is less than 512MB. Let me refresh myself and confirm the same. Will come back to you with my findings after 15 Hrs.

Thanks once again

Regards,
Syam
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Sybase support is the only place where you can get answers about possible kernel changes. As with all OS patches, they should be current (wihtin the last 6 months).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Syam, some parameters to consider

1) System configuration for Sybase 12.5. I feel 512 MB is too small
2) Latest patches to Sybase as well as to OS
3) This link should help you,
http://www.sybase.com/products/informationmanagement/adaptiveserverenterprise

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"