1748089 Members
4857 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sybase dumps "hang".

Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Sybase dumps "hang".

When dumping the database, the dump stops after a while. If I type Ctrl-c twice it continue, very strange. Does someone know why? It started after I changed the HW from a K570 to a L2000 HP server.
Thanks.

//Fredric
Fredde
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Can you tell which db & table it hangs on? If so, run a dbcc on that table, chances are you have a problem with the index or the table map.

HTH
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

I used type:
dump database to ""

same problem even if I use "stripe on".

//Fredric

Fredde
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

When you run the dump, are you getting a list of tables as they are dumped? If not, try running it with the NOTIFY option, that way you can see where it stops.

But, regardless of the dump, run a dbcc checkalloc on the database. The default is "nofix" so the output will list if there are any index or allocation errors.

To fix, you have to got to single-use mode on the db, and rerun the dbcc checkalloc with the fix option to automatically fix any errors it finds.

HTH
mark
Fredric V├еdeg├еrd
Frequent Advisor

Every weekend, a dbcc job is running including dbcc checkalloc. It has been a lot of output from that command last 2 times. It is allways the same "error". Table corrupt: Page is allocated but not linked; check the following pages and ids: (then a lot of numbers, object name = syslogs).
Our external support says it is because an activity is running at the same time.

//Fredric

Fredde
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

are you running the dump on a busy system as well? If so, find a time when you can put the database into single usermode, run the dbcc checkalloc with the "fix" option, and then run the dump with the "NOTIFY" option immediately afterwards and see if they both run clean. It may be that you have a table in use that is hanging the dump.

mark