3496 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sybase

nibble
Super Advisor

Sybase

hi guys,
i met a box with sybase installed. i noticed that everytim sysbase is started, i noticed that it was initializing a virtual device, which the path is not mounted on my FS though its configured as one of the logical volumes.
im planning to install a sysbase server, does this means that i have to configure a virtual device too?
4 REPLIES 4
nibble
Super Advisor

or..any idea on how to install a sybase adaptive server?...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Sybase is almost always installed with raw disk devices for the data files, not filesystems. This can be a big headache for the sysadmin since these raw volumes are not documented in HP-UX except as a defined lvol (and rlvol). I strongly recommend getting Sybase to define all the volumes and their purpose(s), then perhaps change the lvol names from defaults like lvol1, lvol2, etc to sybase1, sybase2, or something equally meaningful.

Then add comment lines in /etc/fstab indicating the volume group and lvols that belong to Sybase with a warning not to use them as free space! Neither SAM nor lvm commands know what is on a raw volume (well, both understand swap usage but that's all).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Mr. Hassell is absolutely correct. Sybase typically mounts raw straight to the logical volume. Although I wouldn't recommend the following on a sybase logical volume you can use the tar or dd commands to observe the contents. "...dd..." before "...tar...".

dd if=/dev/dsk/cXtYdZ of=/tmp/file bs=64 count=100

-or-

tar -cvf /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ /tmp/file.tar
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Install notes,

http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-as/asp1200e/aseinshp/@Generic__BookView
pdf:

http://download.sybase.com/pdfdocs/asp1200e/aseinshp.pdf

Take a good note from Bill Hassel, add your raw filesystems in the fstab just uncomment them.

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.