108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System board specs Pavillion 510a

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

System board specs Pavillion 510a

I have to replace the power supply on this machine and there is no Manual available online on the HP site. I want to know the purpose of the black-green-black three pin plug that plugs in just above and to the right of the ATX power plug. HP in my country cannot supply a replacement power supply and I have to ue a generic power supply that does not have this lead on it.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
5 REPLIES 5
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: System board specs Pavillion 510a

Jules:

Are you talking about the area where I have drawn a white perimeter on the attached motherboard image? If so, they look like fan connectors. A three-pin fan connector would permit control/monitoring of the fan in the power supply. This is an educated guess; I don't knoe definitively.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jules:

Are you talking about the area where I have drawn a white perimeter on the attached motherboard image? If so, they look like fan connectors. A three-pin fan connector would permit control/monitoring of the fan in the power supply. This is an educated guess; I don't knoe definitively.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Roger - thanks, you are spot on with your diagram. I have installed another power supply and the fan runs just fine off the ATX plug. I wanted to make sure that the pin that I was worried about wasn't used for something essential. The machine has been running on the new power supply for 6 hrs, and turns off OK and seems to be alright. My thoughts are - why have a seperate fan power supply if the ATX plug supplies the power.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jules:

I'm not confident I've interpreted your question correctly, but some reasons (I believe) that some manufacturers run the power supply fan from the motherboard are that it allows the fan speed to be monitored and reported to the user/system as well as permitting thermostatic control of the fan (when a heat sensor indicates a rise in temperature, the fan input voltage could be raised to make it run faster). A big motivator for this kind of engineering is to reduce noise (fans generate most of a PC's noise output).

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Roger
Thank you again for your reply. Yes, I did think that it might be a monitoring device for the speedetc of the fan, but as the new power supply does not have such a lead then it cannot perform that function.
I am awarding you points for your prompt and spot on discussion. Thanks