1753386 Members
5995 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System freezes randomly since using DSL

Oliver Zimmermann
Occasional Advisor

System freezes randomly since using DSL

I have switched to ADSL lately and since then in happens randomply that the entire system freezes. The Caps-lock and Scroll-lock LED above the numeric key-pad are blinking and nothing is possible anymore but pressing the reset-button. I read in a usenet-group that other have experienced this too.

I use SuSE Linux 7.3 with all current patches applied. My ethernet-card is from D-Link (DFE-538TX). I still have the ISDN-controller configured since the Sedlbauer Speedfax + card is also addressed by Hylafax as a modem. But no connection is defined for this card. Any idea why the system freezes and what to do about it?

Thanks!
Agitate, Educate, Liberate !
3 REPLIES 3
Jeffrey S. Sims
Trusted Contributor

Oliver,

At what point does the system freeze? Is it while booting up, or does the system actually come up and then at random times freezes?

I am running Suse 7.3 at home with DSL and have had no problems. I also use a Linksys DSL/Cable router to establish the connection for me and serve as a DHCP server for the windows comps at home. This may be worth looking into if you cannot find a solution to your problem.
Christoph Rothe_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I experienced the same problem: Random freezes.

I could stop this by not using the kernel level driver for DSL but using the roaring penguin drivers (rp-pppoe in the SuSE distribution)

HTH,

Christoph
Oliver Zimmermann
Occasional Advisor

Hi! I manged the problem by installing another kernell. I was told that the flashing of the scroll- and caps-lock lamps means a kernel-hangup. Hence I took another SuSE-approved kernel. Now everything is fine. Thnaks all for your help.
Oliver
Agitate, Educate, Liberate !