108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

T520 10.2 to N class 11.0 Question regarding migrating users

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brent Hardesty
Advisor

T520 10.2 to N class 11.0 Question regarding migrating users

We are moving from T520 10.2 to N class 11.0 and I am trying to find out information on migrating our users over. Has anyone done something similar? What files need to be copied over? /etc/passwd, /etc/group...I think there is a third file....?? Will these files need to be altered in any way?

As I understand it the primary group information for each user only needs to be included in /etc/passwd and not /etc/group in 11.0 (were it is required in 10.2). There is no need to have a user explicitly listed in /etc/group if this is his/her primary group. If this is the case, should I remove the primary group out of /etc/group when I copy the file over. Or can I just copy the files as is and everything will work fine?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

ps...if anyone has performed a similar move any other useful tips would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: T520 10.2 to N class 11.0 Question regarding migrating users

Hi Brent,

I assume you are migrating from non-trusted system to non-trusted system. If you are using /etc/logingroup you need to transfer it as well.

If you are non-trusted to non-trusted then yes you can simply ftp the files overs but pay attention to file ownerships and permissions.

!!!! NOTE !!!!
While you are doing this be logged in as root in at least two sessions. Then do a pwck, then logout from one session and make sure that you can log back in as root. Having two sessions open as root means that you can get yourself out of trouble as fast as you got yourself in.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Gadura Praveen
Frequent Advisor

Hello Brent,

I have done such moves a couple of time. There is no need to modify the "/etc/passwd" and "/etc/group" . As Clay said , if you are using logingroup make sure that you copy it also. Also don't forget to move users's home directories.

Praveen
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Brent

One more thing , since you are migrating users , please alos ensure that the $home , .profile of each users are also tansferred so that you dont end them complaining about this. This is to be done after copying the other files.

Manoj Srivastava
Andrew Maslin
Frequent Advisor

Brent,

You are correct about not needing to include a person's primary group in the /etc/group file in 11.0. I don't think it will cause a problem if you leave it there, so I don't think you'll actually need to remove it.