1753617 Members
5835 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tainted kernel - hpasm driver

Brian Shepard
Advisor

Tainted kernel - hpasm driver

The kernel is indeed tainted by the HP Health driver (hpasm). I just did an lsmod and it clearly shows it being tainted. Does anyone know if this will void my RedHat support agreement? If not, could RedHat support blow me off and say somthing like "sorry, your kernel is tainted and we cannot help you."
Anyone? Thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Brian,

I don't know for sure but considering a Red Hat kernel is (and I quote from a recent linux magazine) "patched, in the eyes of many linux users, far beyond what is acceptabe" I think Red Hat would be hard pushed to refuse support for a tainted kernel.

A tainted kernel is only one that is currently running a non-fully GPL module. Many modules a re non-gpl, vmware modules for example, even nvidia graphics drivers are. I don't think Red Hat would suggest you weren't able to run either of these.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

I think it will be voided. Indeed the RH kernel is patched but all changes are _open_ and thus available to everybody. Clearly RH will support their own kernel, but they can _not_ be expected to go and support problems when customers are using closed or other drivers not included by default in the kernel package.

If i go and patch my apache, RH will not support that either, and that is just the web server we are talking about.
Wing Tung Leung

You can always ask Redhat support, even if you're using a tainted module. Or you might remove the module temporarily and try to reproduce the problem, before contacting them.

Just rmmod might do the trick.
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

HP machines+RH are certified so you don't have to worry.
The kernely tainting, as suggested, is due to proprietary modules.

Enjoy,
R.
Don_89
Trusted Contributor

Red Hat support isn't that good for what you pay for. 6 months ago, you used to get a technician on the phone towork with you. Now, they have people taking calls and techs get back to you through their web portal. I would suggest calling HP and working with their Unix techs since they would have more knowledge of this issue and RH.
Brian Shepard
Advisor

RedHat says they will not support any kernel related issues, but will indeed support all other non kernel related issues.