108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Telnet to My linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Telnet to My linux

I have no clue why it is happening. I can telnet from this linux machine. But I Can not telnet into this machine at all from anyother linux or Unix machines
It says connection refused.
I can do a ping with out a problem.
THe ifconfig out put is this:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:E6:5A:48:EA
inet addr:10.3.69.235 Bcast:10.3.69.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:313260 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2701 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:9 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:41194102 (39.2 Mb) TX bytes:529348 (516.9 Kb)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0xd400

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:13697 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:13697 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:958604 (936.1 Kb) TX bytes:958604 (936.1 Kb)

Is that normal. I can browse the internet and get connected to others. But others cannot telnet to me.
can I get some advice?. I think it must be something simple that I am overlooking. Thanks for the help.
Sam
7 REPLIES 7
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

There are MANY things that it could be, here is a link to get you started though:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x87449f5b3d4fd61190030090279cd0f9,00.html

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

Could be that telnet server not running
on this machine, or maybe some security
like iptables not accept connections.

Caesar
Bryce Dunn
Valued Contributor

if you run 'netstat -a | grep LISTEN' you should see all the ports that the machine is running on - and if there is an entry for telnet or not.

the next thing to try is telnetting to localhost. most firewalls allow connections to localhost so you should be able to test if there is a firewall set up on that machine.

In general, its a much better idea to use SSH rather than telnet where possible, so if telnet is disabled why not try ssh?

there is a great windows client called putty (if you search this on google it will be the first entry) if you need one
Balaji N
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

if it is a RHL box,

1. guess telnet is disabled by default. u can enable it by
chkconfig telnet list
and
chkconfig telnet on.

if telneted daeomon is not installed, install it from the rpms or ur respective package.

2. the default firewall settings doesnt allow incoming telnet connections. fire redhat-config-securitylevel and configure to alow incoming connections. or if u are well versed with the command line, use iptables to manipulate the firewall.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

maybe the telnet service isn't enabled in the xinetd configuration. Usually it disabled; if the file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet contains a line 'disabled = yes' change it to 'disabled = no' and restart the xinetd demon, running 'service xinetd restart'.
Of course, the telnet server must be installed; you can check this so:

# rpm -qa | grep telnet-server

bye
Claudio
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the help, experts...
I have now successfully got the linux telnet screen from outside. That is from my laptop I can run telnet and the screen comes. I have telnet enabled and the firewall opened up. Now I get the login screen when I try to telnet from my laptop to the Linux box. But if I enter root and its password, it is not accepted from the telnet screen. The same password is valid on the linux box itself.
What is the secret of this?
Can somebody help me with this?

Also I am not able to run ypwhich although I have configured this box as a nis client. It is trying to contact the nis server, but it times out. yp.config done and everything else required has been configured. Help possible?
Thanks
Sam
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi
great.

now that telnet works, u can login as a normaL user and then switch to root.

direct root login is only possible from terminals which are listed in /etc/securetty.

and normally /etc/securetty contains entries only for consoles and tty's.

there will no pty's listed here. and when u telnet actually u use a pty.

and lastly, shun telnet and go for ssh.

cheerio
-balaji

Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.