6024 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Telnet to Serial Port. N-class server.

David Diaz
Occasional Advisor

Telnet to Serial Port. N-class server.

Hi,
I have an N-class server that's running a third-party (DotHill) SAN.
Usually to access the SAN's configuration software I telnet into it's serial port using a laptop pc.
I need to be able to manage this system remotely and needed to know if I could telnet from the server to the SAN through the N-class server's serial port.
If not, is there any utility like telnet that I could use?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
At the end of the game the king and the pawn go in the same box
5 REPLIES 5
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Telnet to Serial Port. N-class server.

you may require configuration of the /etc/uucp/Devices file and the /etc/inittab
You could experiment with the cu command

cu -l /dev/ttyXpY

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Ross Martin
Trusted Contributor

An easier way is to use Kermit (a contributed program that comes on all HP9000's).

#kermit

C-Kermit> SET LINE /dev/cul2a1 Set desired outgoing modem port.
NOTE:
Kermit commands are case insensitive.
They are shown in upper case for
clarity.

C-Kermit> SET SPEED 9600 Desired speeds are 1200 to 19200 on
available modems.

C-Kermit> SET FLOW XON/XOFF Sets flow control to xon/xoff.

C-Kermit> CONNECT This puts kermit into transparent mode
so you can communicate with the remote.
Kermit tells you how to get back (you
type \ followed by C).

Look at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit for user scripts and support of this contributed program.

Ross Martin
HP Response Center
David Diaz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the responses.
I tried the 'cu' command but I need to do a little configuring as Bill stated.
I tried the 'Kermit' route as well, and 'Kermit' hung after inputting the commands. Perhaps I'm using the wrong device file or doing something else wrong.
I will keep trying to get these to work, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for lending your expertise.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

The Kermit idea is fine as far as it goes but Kermit assumes that there is something connected to the Serial port like a modem or what not.

If I understand you correctly, your 3rd party software is already running on the server but monitors a serial port for its control. Kermit is probably hanging because something else controls the port.

If that's the case then what you need to do is to link the control serial port to a second serial port on the same server with a nullmodem cable. Then you telnet to the server, kermit to the second serial port which is connected to the first serial port and you should be able to talk to your software. Of course you need a second serial port for this to work.

Another alternative if you have a Cisco router nearby is to connect the Aux port on the router to the Control Serial port on the server again with a null modem cable. Then you can telnet into the router and do what cisco calls a reverse telnet to the aux port.

Another alternative which may be the easiest but more costly solution is to get a Digi Ethernet to serial adapter.

http://www.digi.com/solutions/devtermsrv/termsrv/portsrvrfamily.shtml

Similar device from BlackBox LE9995A and runs $639 list. Ouch.

Final idea. Cheap but takes up space. Get a surplus Windows PC and put pcAnywhere on it and on your desktop PC (if it's a Window box). Connect the PC to your control port. Use pcAnywhere to log into the dumb PC and open Hyperterm.

Ron
David Diaz
Occasional Advisor

I found that the SAN supports PPP.
It took me a while but I was able to configure it to communicate through the network.
Thanks again for your help, it helped me get the problem resolved alot faster and helped me narrow down the solutions.

David