New Discussion юеВ

Re: Telnetd Source for LINUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
yc_2
Regular Advisor

Telnetd Source for LINUX

Hi,

Where can I down load the source for the telnetd for LINUX.

Thanks in advance,
YC
5 REPLIES 5
Chris Calabrese
Valued Contributor

"Linux" is just a kernel. Different Linux distributions (Red Hat, Suse, Debian, etc.) may have different telnet daemons bundled with them (though in practice it's very incestuous). You can get the different telnet daemons from the web sites of the different distributors (redhat.com, suse.com, debian.com, etc.). There's also the *BSD versions, which you can get from the respecitve *BSD sites (freebsd.org, openbsd.org, and netbsd.org).
Brainbench MVP for Unix Administration and Internet Security, SANS Review Editor, and Center for Internet Security HP-UX Benchmark project leader
Josh Owings
Frequent Advisor

I found a version here:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/yellowdog/1.0/updates/champion-1.1/SRPMS/telnet-0.10-29.src.html

It appears to be an older version though. The souce you are looking for should come with a distribution of Red Hat 7.1. What disto are you using. The file above says it is for Yellow Dog, but you may be able to start from there.

Josh Owings
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can also get the "GNU" version (probably one of the most "official" ones) at :

http://www.gnu.org/software/inetutils/inetutils.html

The same package includes most common network services (both client and server software).

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
yc_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I'm actually looking for telnetd source code for RedHat 6.0

YC
Josh Owings
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Found it!

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/6.0/en/os/i386/SRPMS/telnet-0.10-27.src.rpm

this is the telnet source for Red Hat 6.0. It includes the source for telnetd that came with that version.

You just install the *.src.rpm that you download with the link above, find the sources (it was in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES on my box), then tar zxf netkit-telnet-0.10.tar.gz. Once that is done you can just go into the 'netkit-telnet-0.10' directory and there you will see a folder for telnetd. In that folder you will find the sources.

I hope this is helpful.