New Discussion юеВ

Tkprof interpretation !

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Fung
Frequent Advisor

Tkprof interpretation !

Hi all,

I collected sql_trace statistics and use tkprof to format the trace report. However I have some doubt about the meaning of elapsed time ?? Any idea ? What is the relationship between cpu and elapsed time? What are their significant in determinining the performance of the sql statement ?

Appreciated for your comments.

Many thanks,

Chris Fung,
3 REPLIES 3
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Tkprof interpretation !

hi,

CPU - In CPU seconds, how much time was spent on this phase of the query execution. This is only filled in if TIMED_STATISTICS are enabled.

ELAPSED - As measured by the wall clock; how long this phase of query execution took. This is again only filled in if TIMED_STATISTICS are enabled.

Let us see a tkprof that shows you things like:

---------------------------------------------------------
update emp set ename = ename

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
Execute 1 0.01 39.04 0 19 16 14
Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total 2 0.01 39.04 0 19 16 14

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 241

Rows Row Source Operation
------- ---------------------------------------------------
0 UPDATE
14 TABLE ACCESS FULL OBJ#(36120)

so apparently, that took 0.01 cpu seconds yet it took 39.04 seconds by the wall clock. The end user waited AT LEAST 39.04 seconds for that result to be returned -- maybe more (that is your Y above -- 39.04, you need the X to compute whether the server or client is the bottleneck)

Now, since I have 9i we get the wait events in the tkprof as well, they are separate and distinct from ELAPSED times:

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:
Event waited on Times Max. Wait Total Waited
---------------------------------------- Waited ---------- ------------
enqueue 14 2.99 39.03
SQL*Net message to client 1 0.00 0.00
SQL*Net message from client 1 0.00 0.00
********************************************************************************

here we see the database, during the processing of this statement waited on an enqueue (a LOCK -- i locked all rows in emp in another session first). It timed out 14 times and went back and waited again. That cumulative time -- 39.03 seconds -- accounts for the difference between the CPU time above and the ELAPSED time. If we wait for nothing -- cpu and elapsed are the same, if we wait for some resource - they will differ.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,
sorry for the output problem.
posting the reply in the attached text file

Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Chris Fung
Frequent Advisor

Hi Yogeeraj,

Thanks your your detailed explanation.

Very helpful to me !!!

I am very appreciated. Think that you probably an "OCM" !!

Cheers,

Chris,