Operating System - HP-UX
1751956 Members
4862 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

John Strang
Regular Advisor

I agree with Deepak - if a user has a high percentage of unassigned replies they should be warned as they log in, and a flag should be displayed beside their name (perhaps a new style hat???)

But they should still be allowed to post their questions and reply to other peoples' questions.

I can partly understand Wodisch's comment about having time to test proposed solutions, but surely if something is important enough to justify asking here, it should be important enough to test solutions promptly?

John
If you never make a mistake you'll never make anything.
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi everybody!!

Yes, I'm with you guys.
This forum is great, the members are great and we can do it, we can change the people that don't assign points. Sure!!

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Kenny

I agree totally with you and would also like to see people shamed into assigning points. On various screens we have the top score list I think a top offenders list would be great but only for persistant offenders ie those who have say asked over 25 questions yet never assigned any points.

I believe the whole concept of the forum and the points is to receive points for contributions towards resolving someones problem. Please do not assign points to me I think assigning points for agreeing or disagreeing with a statement placed on the forum is defeating the object. With he number of statements which get issued I am sure it would be possible for someone to achieve professional status in the space of just a few weeks without even answering a question.

keep up the good work
John.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Well Said Kenny.

n/a to this.

Paula

If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Deepak, I strongly agree on what you said. I agree to put some hats or logos next to those have poor records of assigning points.

Wodisch, I agree that to test the solution before assigning points. But I found mostly here is those have got the solution working but still did not give points and that's a poor attitude and did not respect the forum and the repliers.

Thanks all for your support and I hope all the people in the forum will notice this.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
Holger Knoppik
Valued Contributor

Hi Kenny,

unfortunately, it seems so. Looks like the "ASSIGN POINTS" button is confused with "CANCEL" or something like that by some members. Maybe HP should change the colour of this button to a bright red. The assign points section is the most discussed thing since several weeks, and although there are so many threads about this, no one seems to care ...
In the last weeks, many new members have appeared. I hope they will check out your thread.

RGDS, Holger
Live long and prosper!
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Kenny,

Glad to see this thread come up again (after Paula's during the last month). I don't subscribe to any "punishment" theory for the offenders. This is a user community and i know newsgroups out there which have been running fine with all sort of people participating in it. Hopefully sending out such helpful reminders would make folks to be more responsive.

It is a matter of courtesy to assign points as a way of saying thanks and at the same time make a short summary on whether the problem got solved or not. A year or so ago, atleast there was the excuse of this site not being accessible regularly , performance issues.

-raj
Take it easy.
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Holger, I hope the newcomers will read this post too.

Raj, I agree to your comments. I know that this is a free forum and we can't force them to do so. But I think Dan and his teammate can work on giving them a reminder on assigning points.

Do you all think so? Give them a reminder or give them a logo or hat on a poor percentage of assigning records.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Of course I agree completely, and threads like these pop up in any category.

What I see more and more often is that the person that originally asked the question only asigns points up to and including the message that helped him/her out and stops reading and asigning points after that, though the information that pops up in spin-off discussions of the original question is many times very valuable for other readers too.

How about: If a message has not been asigned point for 4 month (yes, an arbitrary bound), *anyone* can asign points to the message (only once of course) if it helps him/her out or gave info to help him/her forward.
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Kenny,

I really agree with you kenny.

Of course that in some critical situation, some people are just interesting to experiment the new posted solutions in order to fix their problems, but giving this extra time ( max. 30 seconds to assign points is seen as an investment in the resolution of the future problems !!!.

It's simple but also a manner by which we are :

1. Thanking the responses of people who are having other things to but they are taking time to undrestand and solve other's problems, without any consultant fees !!!

2. It's a reward for people who are not only sharing their knowldege but also assisting others till their problems are solved.

3. It's a manner to appreciate a given solution so that if someone is looking for a solution to given problem and the engine gives back a few responses ; assingning points can easly help the seeker to find out quiqly the best solution ( which got of course 10, 9 or 8 points .)

Greetings

Magdi