Operating System - HP-UX
1751770 Members
4535 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

maybe you should create a bottom 25 table!

or..

for the developers, stop new question posting if less than say 50% points assignment record...

or...

homepage after login should include links to unassigned question replies...

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

If people really don't assign any points (although they reply sometimes with thanks), I post an answer with a few threads:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x96b70bce6f33d6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x316efd3f91d3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Maybe I should add your thread as well ;-)

Kurt
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I think most newcomers here do not know that they need to assign points if someone replies to their question. Having said that, after they post their question, the same message you wrote appear on their screens, and if someone replies, that is included in the email sent as well, so if they don't know it's their fault actually. They should read a bit more.

Another lot of people just don't give a damn about the points scoring system and do not assign points, simple. These kind of people should not be here. They should be banned. Simple.

Trouble is, how do you recognise "innocent people" who do not know about the points scoring system, and "guilty people" who do it on purpose? If you ban innocent people, it's bad, but if you let guilty people not assign points, that's bad as well. So I dunno what should be done. Maybe a warning via email after let's say 10 answers without assigning points, and if they remain the same, they are banned?

Nice point actually. Everyone seems to bring this up but nothing is being done I'm afraid.

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

I totally agree, points should be given for the effort, also I reply as to what solved the problem is very helpfull for searches.

Should those posters who don't get a final answer to their problems, do a follow up: Hey, I am still having this problem, can someone please help. That would probably be a good idea also for the searches, that was we know the question wasn't resolved.

Hmmm... I think I'll do that with my last question now. :)
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Kenny-

I'm with you guys about how it would be nice to have points assigned, and I am always sure to do so when I've got my issue resolved. I do find it a little interesting that, as bad as this forum (or area of the forums) might be, over in the buisness center discussions, I'm number 7 in one of them with 25 points. Granted, there are less total posts over there, but still.... I guess it's all relative. But it's still a nice thing to do for those that help.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

When answering questions, I will look at the current points assigned for the question and if it looks like points will not be awarded, I will add one of the following comments at the bottom.

Please assign points to your answers.

Assigning points is a good thing.

If you liked this answer, please assign points.

You would get more answers if you assigned points to the current answers.

When we take the time to answer, you should take the time to assign points.

---------
I will also go look up some of the users and reply this way:

This author has assigned points to x of xx of their questions.

Sometimes it has helped, sometimes I get flamed. Sometimes I flame back, but that is really rare.

But in the end, some folks will never assign points as they are only there for the answers.

I consider it being polite to assign points, and there is very little politeness left in the current world.

A tip of the hat and a thankyou go a long way to keeping peace in the world.

It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

How about this:

When a user LOG's IN they AUTOMATICALLY should get sent to a screen where it lists THREADS without complete "point or N/A" assignments. And if they have over 1 thread and a certain percentage of unanswered point assignments they can't go any farther until it's rectified.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Harry, that's a swell idea. I love it. (N/A)
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Kenny,

Seems like this is a never endind discussion that goes on in the forum. Though i'm also in favor of the points, i feel it is the moral responsibility of the person who has posted the question to assign points atleast if he has got a solution from the suggestion posted by forum members.

If the forum members were unable to give a complete solution, the questioner can just put an update saying that the suggestion had not resulted in a solution and i think, in that sort of situation people who have posted the answers to the question will not crib if the points are not assigned.

What i mean to suggest is that the questioner should atleast update the solution to his / her question, irrespective of how it was found or not found.

Lastly i would like to say that we post answers to the questions on our own free will and that if the questioner does not assign points, the least that we can do is not say anything bad. It is their free will, they may assign points or they may not. If we want we can stop answering question.

Reagrds
Sanja
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Ok, i looked back and see that the points assignment has been absymal in the recent past. Maybe, HP *can* help here. The easiest and non-intrusive way would be to have a tag attached beside the questioner's id, which shows his points assignment.

HTH
raj
Take it easy.