Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

I had found so many people here did not assign points to the repliers. Experts here are not employed by HP, they did not have responsibility to help to solve all the problem the people post here. They just want to share their experience with people here so that people can solve the problem more easily. They did not ask for any rewards when the problem had been solved, but many people here did not show their thanks to the repliers: "Assign points to the repliers". Have the people here read the "rules" after posting a new message:

assigning points
Only the Question Author can assign points to a given response. When you return to your question and are logged in, you???ll see an "Assign Points" button next to each answer. Click that button and you???ll see an easy mechanism, all captured on a single screen, for assessing the value of the answer. After you???ve rated the response, the "assign Points" button will disappear from that given response.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be logged in order for the "Assign Points" to appear next to each unrated answer.
Points are assigned on the value that an answer provides in helping solve the problem. Use the following scale, and then deviate inside the bands for answers that add more or less value:
N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question
1- 3: The answer didn't really help answer my question but thanks for your assistance!
4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

"Assigning points" is not only an award to the repliers, but also an indicator that the problem had been solved. If you had a problem and you found that it had been posted before and there is a rabbit there, you can read the post directly to solve your problem instead of posting the same problem again. But if there is no rabbit, you did not realise that the solution is work or not.

I did not think that assigning the points is a trouble work to do, it just a simple clicks and that's it. Just a couple of seconds. Really a trouble work?

Any others comments?

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
43 REPLIES
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

Well done Kenny, nothing more needs to be said!

Cheers
-Michael
:^))
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Yep

It really gets to me aswell, i've not get my first hat yet and feel as though I should have done ages ago. Some of my replies recently have been worth at least 5 points but i've failed to get any.

I will continue

Steve
take your time and think things through
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Kenny,

well said! Please no points - assign N/A.

:-)))

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

On top of that, people should make an effort to reply to their own message as to how the replies resolved their problem or not. A simple "Thanks, what 'so-and-so' suggested worked great!" or something similar would be just what someone later who is searching through the forums needs to tell if the replies are reliable or not...

They take 1-3 minutes to post a reply and often it saves quite a bit of time and stress to get their problem fixed. It only takes 1 minute to enter a short reply and assign the points....

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hello .. Good evening ..

I have learned the value of points. When I first got on I will admit .. I didnt give as many points as I should have. Somes I do forget but I do make the effort to go back and give points. So far I have assigned points to 1367 of 1499. Not too bad .. but wow that is allot of posts that I have .. hmmm but I do learn allot (thanks everyone for being patient with me) so its all good.
Points are important but what I would really like is to knwo if what I did help move whoever foward on their issue. Other wise I am sitting here wondering .. hmmm i wonder if that helped. There have been a couple of times that I have "broken" one of my servers in an effort to duplicate the issue and figure out a fix. I put in the time the effort go though the trouble .. duplicate the problem figure out a possible fix, post it and never get points or know if I was any help. That is what gets to me. At least let me know if I helped so I know how to fix the issue if it happends to me. That is the least a person can do.

Richard =)
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Steven, I understand your situation. I know if all the people here had assigned points to all the repliers, Clay, James and all the repliers will have their points double.

John, you are right, just to take 1 minute to reply or assign points but most people here did not do so. What a pity to all repliers!

Richard, I agree on what you said. I had also tried to duplicate the issue and try to fix it before. Many people here had put many effort to solve the problem but they mostly did not get any points.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I agree strongly on all off you guys.
Although there are a lot of serious people in this forum, giving points frequently.
So in my opinion this thread runs for the minority of the users.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Deepak Extross
Honored Contributor

Time and time again, the idea of "nag screens" for users with a poor reply-rating track record has been mooted in posts like this.
I wish Dan & his able assistants would implement something on these lines.
Or maybe a red exclamation mark against postings by persons with poor track records of assigning points would shame them into sprucing up their act.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

good to bring this topic to the top again, but you know what:
as soon as "some" people get their answer (=problem solved) their mouses become too heavy to handle, immediately! Hence they cannot move it anymore, I guess that's the problem...

On the other hand, they might not have been able to verify/test the posted solutions (I do have two "open" replies, which I had no time for testing them, even that it is now weeks since then... :-( I hope they are still patient).

Just my $0.00002,
Wodisch
John Strang
Regular Advisor

I agree with Deepak - if a user has a high percentage of unassigned replies they should be warned as they log in, and a flag should be displayed beside their name (perhaps a new style hat???)

But they should still be allowed to post their questions and reply to other peoples' questions.

I can partly understand Wodisch's comment about having time to test proposed solutions, but surely if something is important enough to justify asking here, it should be important enough to test solutions promptly?

John
If you never make a mistake you'll never make anything.
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi everybody!!

Yes, I'm with you guys.
This forum is great, the members are great and we can do it, we can change the people that don't assign points. Sure!!

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Kenny

I agree totally with you and would also like to see people shamed into assigning points. On various screens we have the top score list I think a top offenders list would be great but only for persistant offenders ie those who have say asked over 25 questions yet never assigned any points.

I believe the whole concept of the forum and the points is to receive points for contributions towards resolving someones problem. Please do not assign points to me I think assigning points for agreeing or disagreeing with a statement placed on the forum is defeating the object. With he number of statements which get issued I am sure it would be possible for someone to achieve professional status in the space of just a few weeks without even answering a question.

keep up the good work
John.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Well Said Kenny.

n/a to this.

Paula

If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Deepak, I strongly agree on what you said. I agree to put some hats or logos next to those have poor records of assigning points.

Wodisch, I agree that to test the solution before assigning points. But I found mostly here is those have got the solution working but still did not give points and that's a poor attitude and did not respect the forum and the repliers.

Thanks all for your support and I hope all the people in the forum will notice this.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
Holger Knoppik
Valued Contributor

Hi Kenny,

unfortunately, it seems so. Looks like the "ASSIGN POINTS" button is confused with "CANCEL" or something like that by some members. Maybe HP should change the colour of this button to a bright red. The assign points section is the most discussed thing since several weeks, and although there are so many threads about this, no one seems to care ...
In the last weeks, many new members have appeared. I hope they will check out your thread.

RGDS, Holger
Live long and prosper!
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Kenny,

Glad to see this thread come up again (after Paula's during the last month). I don't subscribe to any "punishment" theory for the offenders. This is a user community and i know newsgroups out there which have been running fine with all sort of people participating in it. Hopefully sending out such helpful reminders would make folks to be more responsive.

It is a matter of courtesy to assign points as a way of saying thanks and at the same time make a short summary on whether the problem got solved or not. A year or so ago, atleast there was the excuse of this site not being accessible regularly , performance issues.

-raj
Take it easy.
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Holger, I hope the newcomers will read this post too.

Raj, I agree to your comments. I know that this is a free forum and we can't force them to do so. But I think Dan and his teammate can work on giving them a reminder on assigning points.

Do you all think so? Give them a reminder or give them a logo or hat on a poor percentage of assigning records.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Of course I agree completely, and threads like these pop up in any category.

What I see more and more often is that the person that originally asked the question only asigns points up to and including the message that helped him/her out and stops reading and asigning points after that, though the information that pops up in spin-off discussions of the original question is many times very valuable for other readers too.

How about: If a message has not been asigned point for 4 month (yes, an arbitrary bound), *anyone* can asign points to the message (only once of course) if it helps him/her out or gave info to help him/her forward.
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Kenny,

I really agree with you kenny.

Of course that in some critical situation, some people are just interesting to experiment the new posted solutions in order to fix their problems, but giving this extra time ( max. 30 seconds to assign points is seen as an investment in the resolution of the future problems !!!.

It's simple but also a manner by which we are :

1. Thanking the responses of people who are having other things to but they are taking time to undrestand and solve other's problems, without any consultant fees !!!

2. It's a reward for people who are not only sharing their knowldege but also assisting others till their problems are solved.

3. It's a manner to appreciate a given solution so that if someone is looking for a solution to given problem and the engine gives back a few responses ; assingning points can easly help the seeker to find out quiqly the best solution ( which got of course 10, 9 or 8 points .)

Greetings

Magdi
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

maybe you should create a bottom 25 table!

or..

for the developers, stop new question posting if less than say 50% points assignment record...

or...

homepage after login should include links to unassigned question replies...

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

If people really don't assign any points (although they reply sometimes with thanks), I post an answer with a few threads:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x96b70bce6f33d6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x316efd3f91d3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Maybe I should add your thread as well ;-)

Kurt
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I think most newcomers here do not know that they need to assign points if someone replies to their question. Having said that, after they post their question, the same message you wrote appear on their screens, and if someone replies, that is included in the email sent as well, so if they don't know it's their fault actually. They should read a bit more.

Another lot of people just don't give a damn about the points scoring system and do not assign points, simple. These kind of people should not be here. They should be banned. Simple.

Trouble is, how do you recognise "innocent people" who do not know about the points scoring system, and "guilty people" who do it on purpose? If you ban innocent people, it's bad, but if you let guilty people not assign points, that's bad as well. So I dunno what should be done. Maybe a warning via email after let's say 10 answers without assigning points, and if they remain the same, they are banned?

Nice point actually. Everyone seems to bring this up but nothing is being done I'm afraid.

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

I totally agree, points should be given for the effort, also I reply as to what solved the problem is very helpfull for searches.

Should those posters who don't get a final answer to their problems, do a follow up: Hey, I am still having this problem, can someone please help. That would probably be a good idea also for the searches, that was we know the question wasn't resolved.

Hmmm... I think I'll do that with my last question now. :)
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Kenny-

I'm with you guys about how it would be nice to have points assigned, and I am always sure to do so when I've got my issue resolved. I do find it a little interesting that, as bad as this forum (or area of the forums) might be, over in the buisness center discussions, I'm number 7 in one of them with 25 points. Granted, there are less total posts over there, but still.... I guess it's all relative. But it's still a nice thing to do for those that help.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"