108758 Solutions
New Discussion

To edit remote file via gvim

file system
Frequent Advisor

To edit remote file via gvim

hi all.
Long time that I have not logged in .
and I'm going to use the gvim tool for modifying remote exsited file.

but it dose not work.

I have one issue. I can't seem to edit remote files with gVim. In particular with gFTP.

I connect to the remote FTP and edit the file (I've set the options to use gvim for editing). It opens the file with gVim normally, and I can change everything. But when I save and quit, the file is not updated on the remote server.

Is there any solution for me to do this?

Thanks,
1 REPLY 1
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: To edit remote file via gvim

One, it sounds like an issue with gFTP. Have you checked the "gftp-users" forum at http://archives.seul.org/gftp/users/ ?

Two, looking at the gFTP FAQ, I found the following: http://gftp.seul.org/readme.html#AEN109
"When using an external editor, gFTP does not detect changes that are being made to the file."
Look at the man page for the editor you are using and see if there is a command line argument to have the editor run in the foreground (it won't fork to detact from the current terminal). If you are using one of the graphical VIM editors, you can add the --nofork argument.

Finally, don't forget to APPLY YOUR POINTS! You have assigned points to 69 of 137 responses to your questions.

WHY SHOULD YOU DO THIS?
There are 3 reasons why rating replies is such an important feature:

1.) Others have taken time to help you, so please give them credit for their help.
2.) Your rating will help your peers earn points toward their Forums status, and you will validate the quality of the solution you've received.
3.) Other readers will understand which answer best solved a problem, enriching the community knowledge being shared.

Points should be applied to EVERY MESSAGE in the thread of your questions that has "Unassigned" next to the date and time. The button to apply is on the bottom of the page.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo