1752577 Members
4995 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 on RHL ES 3

David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

Tomcat 5.5.9 on RHL ES 3

I'm trying to install Tomcat 5.5.9 on a Proliant DL380 G4, with j2sdk1.5.0_02, on Redhat Enterprise 3.0

I've gone through all the install steps, but when I try to run Tomcat as a deamon, using the following command (from $catalina_home)
./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp ./bin/bootstrap.jar -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap but get the error message:
jsvc error: Cannot find any VM in Java Home /usr/java
Segmentation fault

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

What JRE do you have installed?

RHEL should come with a version, but the path in the catalina startup routines might be wrong.

Otherwise, get a real JRE from Sun, and use that (modifying the tomcat startup routines appropriately).
One long-haired git at your service...
David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

The JRE I've installed is from the Sun/Java web site, and is version 5.0.2. The download file I used was jre-1_5_0_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

I had some trouble installing tomcat two years back and attached is the document which i referred to get things working.

All the best.
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

I always forget the attachment!!

Is it time for a tea break??
practice makes a man perfect!!!
David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

The problem was the file structure on the system.
Using the automatic installer for the Java SDK placed the files under /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0_02
We moved the files up one level to /usr/java, and that seems to have fixed the problems.