Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomcat 5.5.9 on RHL ES 3

David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

Tomcat 5.5.9 on RHL ES 3

I'm trying to install Tomcat 5.5.9 on a Proliant DL380 G4, with j2sdk1.5.0_02, on Redhat Enterprise 3.0

I've gone through all the install steps, but when I try to run Tomcat as a deamon, using the following command (from $catalina_home)
./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp ./bin/bootstrap.jar -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap but get the error message:
jsvc error: Cannot find any VM in Java Home /usr/java
Segmentation fault

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
5 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 on RHL ES 3

What JRE do you have installed?

RHEL should come with a version, but the path in the catalina startup routines might be wrong.

Otherwise, get a real JRE from Sun, and use that (modifying the tomcat startup routines appropriately).
One long-haired git at your service...
David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

The JRE I've installed is from the Sun/Java web site, and is version 5.0.2. The download file I used was jre-1_5_0_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

I had some trouble installing tomcat two years back and attached is the document which i referred to get things working.

All the best.
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

I always forget the attachment!!

Is it time for a tea break??
practice makes a man perfect!!!
David Lowry_1
Occasional Advisor

The problem was the file structure on the system.
Using the automatic installer for the Java SDK placed the files under /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0_02
We moved the files up one level to /usr/java, and that seems to have fixed the problems.