1752564 Members
4482 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 4.0

woodlema

Tru64 4.0

I am working on a proof of concept. I have systems currently running tru64 4.0D. I need an ISO of a Tru64 4.0 something in order to install on a personal alpha emulator in order to create and replicate the OS from another currently running system.

Can anyone please provide me an ISO image of a Tru64 4.0 Operating system installation CD?

HP is horrid at keeping anything available.
11 REPLIES 11
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 4.0

My oldest kit is V5.0. (V4.x is before my
time.) However, if I were looking for what
sounds suspiciously like a copyright
violation, I'd probably choose a venue which
was not run by the copyright owner.
comp.unix.tru64 is probably pretty slow these
days, but it might work better than this.

If you're really trying to "replicate" the
thing, wouldn't a direct disk copy be
possible? (You wouldn't want two identical
IP addresses on the same network, but that
should be pretty easy to fix.)

> HP is horrid at keeping anything available.

Did you threaten to send money?
woodlema

It should not be a copyright issue since I have licenses, just not the distribution CD's/

5.0 should work since the support for the DEC3000 was removed in 5.1A

Copyright violations should only exist whereby you do not already have the licenses, which I do. I just lack the install CD.

In order to make my disk copy I need to actually install Tru64 so I can make a copy of the disk I am trying to replicate onto the Alpha Emulator.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Copyright violations should only exist
> [...]

Are you a lawyer? My understanding (limited
as it may be) is that a copyright violation
may occur when someone who does not have the
right to do so makes a copy of a protected
work. Without permission from the copyright
owner, I'm not willing to advertise my
willingness to do that in a forum run by said
copyright owner. That said, my current
e-mail address should be relatively easy to
find.

> In order to make my disk copy I need to
> actually install Tru64 [...]

On what? You already have it installed
somewhere, don't you?

> 5.0 should work since the support for the
> DEC3000 was removed in 5.1A

I may even have a V5.1 (plain, pre-A) kit.
woodlema

Yes 5.0 should work for me. I need to install on a Personal Alpha Emulator. Here is why I need the OS install.

I need to install on Personal Alpha, in this case I will create a DKA0 2 GB RZ-28 blank disk to install Tru64 5.0. I will run Single user mode initially, and create a 4 GB RZ-29 disk.

Once up and running I will use new new Tru64 5.0 and let my already running Tru64 4.0D either VDUMP or DD to replicate my Operating system disk to my new virtual 4 GB RZ-29 disk (DKA100). Once cone I will be booting from the DKA100 and my 4.0D version.

Sounds like a hard way to do this, but I am not sure I can run my current OpenVMS 8.3 using NFS to do the same thing. I know I can do this using Tru64.

This is the ONLY way I can move my Tru64 4.0D onto the personal Alpha Emulator for the proof of concept I need to convince these idiots I deal with that we can move off of the old Alpha Hardware. We cannot re-code without going through a 6 year validation process per regulations imposed by the NRC.
John Manger
Valued Contributor

A certain well know auction site usually has Tru64 CD kits most weeks. Thats where I've bought most of mine ... Googling will also dig up some pre-built media 'answers' to this same problem (I've not tried 'em, only read the words). You may also consider asking someone if they'd lend you a kit (eg. HP ? A reseller ?, an emulator vendor ? etc etc). Also, PersonalAlpha emulates a DEC 3000, and FreeAXP emulates an Aphaserver 400, but you don't say whether your donor system is closer to a Turbo-Channel Alpha or a PCI Alpha ....

And finally, IF your RZ29 has enough free space, a dd of the 'top' of the raw disk, (from block 0 and only including the root & swap partitions (rzXa+rzXb)), captured into a filesystem file can be used as a boot volume. Ie. Once you have ftp'd the pretend short disk to the Windoze box, you use it as if it were an rz29, its disklabel says rz29, but the tail end is thin air. You should be able to boot single-user off of such a half-image. Several folks have had success this way.

John M
Nobody can serve both God and Money
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

In the past (two years ago) i've run into some posts where a "dd" image of the system was used to transfer the running system to the emulator.

It was someware on tru64.org
I'll try to locate this and post the link.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> Yes 5.0 should work for me. I need to
> install on a Personal Alpha Emulator. Here
> is why I need the OS install.

Bear in mind that Stromasys's Personal Alpha will not run Tru64 V5.x, as far as I'm aware...

Cheers,
Rob
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=163&thread_id=866

Don't be foold by the "OpenVMS" reference.
Also Tru64 is discussed here.
John Manger
Valued Contributor

> Bear in mind that Stromasys's Personal
> Alpha will not run Tru64 V5.x, as far as I'm aware...

Not quite ...

PersonalAlpha will run versions up to V5.1/732.

FreeAXP will run versions up to V5.1B-6.

John M
Nobody can serve both God and Money