108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to mount a aix/jfs filesystem on RHEL AS4

SOLVED
Go to solution
joseph wholey
Regular Advisor

Trying to mount a aix/jfs filesystem on RHEL AS4

I'm trying to mount a aix/jfs filesystem on RHEL AS4. As per the man pages for mount, jfs is supported.

When I enter:
"mount homepw1:/myhome /u/" I get the following:
mount: homepw1:/myhome failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

When I enter:
"mount -t jfs homepw1:/myhome /u" I get:
mount: fs type jfs not supported by kernel

From client:
showmount -e homepw1
Export list for homepw1:
/myhome (everyone)

From server:
showmount -e
/myhome (everyone)

I am able to mount other RHEL/ext3 filesystems on this server.

Nothing interesting in /var/log/messages. Can I mount this jfs filesystem or am I spinning my wheels?
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trying to mount a aix/jfs filesystem on RHEL AS4

You can mount the file system, but when you remotelly mount a file system, you mount it as an NFS file system, in this case jfs has nothing to do at the linux side.

This could be a name resolution problem, ensure that the server and the client can resolve their names correctly, via /etc/hosts or via DNS. Both hosts must have the same entry in the hosts file, for the server and the client.

The right command should be:

mount -t nfs homepw1:/myhome /u

that is equivalent to the first command that you execute.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
joseph wholey
Regular Advisor

Excellent... thx Ivan. That did it.
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

What happens if you enter /sbin/modprobe jfs?

I'm probably out of my depth here, but I recall that in RHEL 3 entering ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/unsupported/fs/jfs/jfs.o showed if the module (at least an unsupported version) was present. You could try a similar command to see if the module is actually present.

I'm assuming that if the kernel was patched recently that you've since rebooted. Also did you run depmod after any recent kernel updates?

I apologize if I'm belaboring the obvious, I'm only speaking about occasionally overlooking the obvious from personal experience. ;-)

Bryan