1751757 Members
4593 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to print form Linux server to LaserJet 5N

Brad Ummer
Occasional Contributor

Trying to print form Linux server to LaserJet 5N

I'm attempting to print from our Linux server (RedHat 7.1) which is located remotely to our LaserJet 5N printer, which is in our office. The LaserJet has its own dedicated WAN IP address, as do each of the PCs in the office. Currently we print from PCs on our network to the printer fine. I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to print from the Linux server.

What we need to print are PostScript files that are generated by a script on the server. After each file is generated, I currently have the application issue a lpr command, which starts GhostScript and does the conversion, and then starts lpd which prints the file. The problem is that the small file (~15K) takes forever to print (1-2 min), and ties up the printer while it is "processing". The PS files are about 15K in size before hand, and after GS is done with the file, it's about 500K. I presume that transferring (spooling?) this to the printer is what is taking so long, but I'm not sure. From what I understand, the LaserJet 5N is not a PS-compatible printer, which is why I need to convert my files with GS before printing.

Is lpr the best route to go? I know next to nothing about Linux printing. Looking around on the net, it would seem that it might be better to remove lpr and install either CUPS or LPRng as an alternative, since they seem to handle PS files better. Right now we're only printing a dozen or so pages per day, but in the future we could be printing hundreds, so I want the most robust and scalable setup I can from the get-go. I'm only using lpr currently because it came installed. For reference, my printcap file (with IP altered) is below. (I've tried both 'text' and 'raw'.)

Thanks for any help.

lp|Laserjet_5N: :sh: :ml=0: :mx=0: :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: :lp=|/usr/share/printconf/jetdirectprint: :lpd_bounce=true: :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:
2 REPLIES 2
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Re: Trying to print form Linux server to LaserJet 5N

Hi,

Install CUPS. Should go faster.

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Brad Ummer
Occasional Contributor

Re: Trying to print form Linux server to LaserJet 5N

Before I install, I've been looking around for a PPD for the LaserJet 5N, but haven't found one for Linux. Does one exist, or is it not required? I'm trying to make sure that all of the elements will be available when I do remove lpd and install CUPS. Thanks.