Operating System - Microsoft
1752414 Members
6079 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two diff hdd, built on two diff OS's, co-exist on one machine?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Mitcham

Two diff hdd, built on two diff OS's, co-exist on one machine?

I have no idea where I should be asking this. It relates to both hw & sw. I will ask here and, if not appropriate, perhaps someone can kindly redirect me to a better place to ask.

Background:
I had an HP pc (the model escapes me at present, and I just recycled the bulk of it last weekend) whose cpu or mb evidently failed on it about a year ago. It was out of warranty, and the mb was out of stock and discontinued. So I pretty much did nothing to fix it.

Because I had alot of information on this pc's drive that I wanted to keep, I considered changing drive jumpers and adding it as a slave drive on another (generic) pc that I have. But no one could tell me if doing this would hose the drive if the bios for the pc I was connecting to was different (not compatable?) with the pc this drive was built on. So rather than take the risk, I simply held onto the drive.

As a Christmas present recently, I received a Model SR5250NX Compaq Presario. Now I am, again, considering attaching this.

Old PC:
Disk Drive: WD Prot├йg├й WD800EB - 80 GB - ATA-100

New PC:
Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB

Questions:
- Can these two hdd co-exist on the Vista machine?
- Will connecting the old pc's WD drive to the new pc effect (destroy?) its data?
- Are there any alternatives I should consider to recover the information on the old hdd?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

-Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Two diff hdd, built on two diff OS's, co-exist on one machine?

the easiest option is to buy a "USB disk enclosure", put your old XP disk in it, and then plug it in to a usb port on the Vista machine.
(I have done this with IDE disks, just make sure your enclosure is an ATA one)
Phil
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

No Problem. You will have to boot into the bios after you install it to tell the c which disk to boot off.
No data will be destroyed.
This is a very common thing for people to do to retrieve their old data.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Andrew Mitcham

> the easiest option is to buy a "USB disk enclosure", put your old XP disk in it, and then plug it in to a usb port on the Vista machine.
(I have done this with IDE disks, just make sure your enclosure is an ATA one)

Excellent idea! I purchased a 3.5" IDE to USB 2.0 enclosure and had the drive hooked up in <15 mins. Vista recognized the drive w/o having to install drivers, and I'm accessing old drive data I haven't seen in over a year!

Thanks again!