7275 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two different Java versions on the same WinXP laptop

Jdamian
Respected Contributor

Two different Java versions on the same WinXP laptop

Hi.

For my job I have to use a web application that ONLY runs fine with JRE 1.3.1.

I had installed Java 1.4.2 but I removed it and installed a MODIFIED JRE 1.3.1. (i.e., original SUN Java 1.3.1 is installed but then I had to copy two library files containing the modifications needed to run fine that web application -- these modified files were given by my workmates).

Then the problem is other web pages crashes due to changes into library files (I guess).

I decided to reinstall JRE 1.4.2 but all navigators (IE as well as Mozilla Firefox) opens Java 1.4.2 not Java 1.3.1, therefore I had to uninstall JRE 1.4.2.

┬┐ Is it possible to configure IE or FireFox to use the desired version of JRE ?

P.D: During the JRE installation I unchecked the IE plugin configuration but it doesn't seem to work
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

Re: Two different Java versions on the same WinXP laptop

There should be two separate icons in the control panel for Java, on the browser tab, try checking the IE box for 1.3.1 and then going to the one for 1.4.2 (which should just read Java) and unchecking then go to the cache tab and clear cache. That being said, some websites are going to require the newer version.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Abdelhakim HAMANE
Trusted Contributor

Re: Two different Java versions on the same WinXP laptop

yes you can choose wich jre to use
for IE for example, go to options->advanced
and there you will have two checkboxes for the Java sun option
-use JRE 1.3.1
-use JRE 1.4.2

Abdelhakim