Servers - General
1752587 Members
4109 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS Problem - Did not restart SLES Server after Power Restoration

Laurence Hart

UPS Problem - Did not restart SLES Server after Power Restoration

I installed a UPS for a client some 3 years ago. S/W is Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 (2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp), HP Power manager 4.2 (build 5). Hardware 470064-429 = ML350 G5, AF405A = UPS T1000 G2.

After mains failure the machine was shutdown gracefully by the UPS, however after mains restoration power was not returned to the machine, so it couldn't boot up. The UPS needed to be brought out of standby mode manually. I am pretty sure I tested this during commissioning, so what could have changed?
2 REPLIES 2
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

It could be a corner case. I think it's possile that the utility was restored at the end of the shutdown process. A short moment that the UPS was busy and couldn't ackonowledge the power restored.

Brian
Laurence Hart

That is interesting, I know from past experience that these fringe conditions can make it difficult to handle all situations. But, in this case the power was restored and failed several times, with final restoration taking place some 12 hours later, but the Linux box did not come up once in that period, the UPS does not see the eventual restoration according to its log(see attachment). NB Linux logs indicate shutdown 22 May at 03:48, power was restored mid-afternoon.