1752742 Members
5448 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS R5500 help

a_je_to

UPS R5500 help

I started to get some strange stuff on my UPS R5500. Suddenly when power fails it shut downs immidiatly. Led on utility is green and first led on power is green 0% to 25% load (0 ERMs).

In console i can see UPS Runtime: 37 Min.

any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Welcome to the ITRC Forums!

How old is the UPS battery? It may have failed. There are many ways for the batteries to fail, and not all of them can be automatically diagnosed by the UPS hardware.

An old battery may provide a good voltage when it's not under load, but when a real load is applied, the voltage immediately drops below acceptable levels. It sounds like this is happening with your battery.

This is why important UPSes often have a service agreement that covers changing the batteries at pre-calculated intervals *before* they'll fail.

UPS batteries should be treated as consumables: it is certain that they *will* fail eventually if used long enough.

MK
MK
a_je_to

Thanks for reply.

Ups was installed in avgust 2007 and was new. since 3 month back it works fine. Then suddenly start doing this.

Is it possible to check battery by myself or need somone from HP to do this.

yes i don't have HP care pack.
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

If your R5500 is monitored by HP Power Manger or HP Management Module? check the delay minute settings found in the "Power Fails" tab.

Brian
a_je_to

Hello,

it is selected advande power fail settings and radio button is on "Shut down based on UPS reported runtime remaining"

Dmitr
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Maybe the UPS in bypass mode.
Check the battery circuit breaker at the rear of the UPS. It must be in position like on the attached picture.
a_je_to

Thanks, but it is turned like the picture is shown.

I
a_je_to

is there any tool to check the battery or to calibrate it?

if it would help.
James_T_White
Advisor

Re: Checking / Calibrating battery -

Have you tried scheduling a battery test?