108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

USB Optical mouse

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roger Armitage
Occasional Advisor

USB Optical mouse

I've been trying to use an optical mouse on my C3600 workstation, it will work for a period of time.

The problem I'm having is, the optical light turns off and the mouse will not respond.

I can get it working by switching USB ports or by rebooting the workstation.

My OS is, HP-UX B.11.11 U

I suspected it might be driver related but have not been able to find a driver yet.
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: USB Optical mouse

HP-UX supports only the simplest mouse and keyboard. The light is probably turning out because there is not enough power available from the single USB port. You might try hooking a powered USB hub to the C3600 and then hook the mouse to the hub.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Eric Bakken
Regular Advisor

when i first set up my c3600, I had close to the same problem... at first I didn't have any usb mouses or keyboards so i tried getting a ps2 to usb adapter but that didn't work.. If i plugged in both keyboard and mouse at the same time, it would lock up my keyboard AND mouse and i couldn't do anything until i rebooted the workstation. I ended up using only my keyboard for a month which is VERY frustrating.

finally i ordered a new usb optical mouse, a 4 port usb hub, and a usb keyboard. I dont think the hub is powered but it all works perfect now.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

is the light turning off while working or is it the 'sleeping mode'?
Which optical mouse do you use?
Maybe a HP- or standard-mouse (Logitech seems to be very close to the standard) will work better?

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Eric Bakken
Regular Advisor

yes, logitech is what i have...
Roger Armitage
Occasional Advisor

I'm using a basic Microsoft Optical mouse.

It seems to be going to sleep when I'm not using it, and then I can't wake it up.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as far as I know is Microsoft not using a real standard, so you should try another one.

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***