Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrium 230 on Redhat 7.3

Vinesh Dhevcharran
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 230 on Redhat 7.3

Hi,

New Linux user on board so expect a flood of stupid questions....

We have just got an IBM 255 server running Redhat 7.3. We have an HP Ultrium 230 also installed. We have don a default install of the OS.

The machine sees the Ultrium as per the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. I have the following problems/questions:

1. What is the equivalent to ioscan -funC tape on Linux? (kudzu?)
2. Will the above command tell me the device name to use e.g. /dev/rmt/c0t4d0BEST ?
3. Is there anything that I would need to see this device from the OS (additional patches etc)?

Many thanks.
Vinesh
3 REPLIES
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 230 on Redhat 7.3

Hi !
kudzu is a hardware detector, which'll detect new hardware installed on your machine and ask for instructions if found.
From gui, you can use hardware browser which'll let you see your hardware.
Through this, you'll also see how it is referenced /dev/something).
lspci -v will also let you see PCI devices (if it is the case for your tape Which I do not know).
Hope it helps.
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

1) ioscan:
have a look at /proc/ file system, in particular the 'ioports', 'interrupts' files, as well as 'scsi/scsi' etc.

If you just want to look at SCSI devices, you can actually use 'cdrecord -scanbus'.

Otherwise, 'lspci', 'lsusb', 'lspnp' might help.

2) device names:
not really. If you look at the output of 'dmesg' (or /var/log/dmesg), you'll see the device names. For a tape however, it will be /dev/[n]st0.

3) other:
Assuming the kernel modules are installed (they are by default), as soon as a tape drive is detected, the 'st' module will be inserted (lsmod, look for a line starting with 'st').

Devices is accessable after this.
One long-haired git at your service...
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The Linux device naming is described in /usr/src/linux-/Documentation/devices.txt.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...