Operating System - Microsoft
1748207 Members
3545 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to boot up in any way whatsoever!

Jackie Barton

Unable to boot up in any way whatsoever!

I have an HP510 notebook which has worked well until yesterday when it started to switch off on it's own. I thought it was the power cable cos I would inadvertantly knock it out whilst NB on my lap, but it wasn't, cos today it will not boot up at all. I get to the HP logo then after some searching from me I found the Safe Mode etc page and asked it to boot up in safe mode but it gives me the message:

Windows could ot start because the following file is missing or currupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon

It gives me the opportunity to boot with the CD-ROM, but this notebook was delivered fully set up and sw already installed.

It tells me to go into recovery, which I did, but I'm not sure which option to go for.

The last specific point in time for recovery is about 2 years ago (I know- I've learned my lesson today!).

I do not want to loose all the work on the Notebook because it has my daughter's college work on it and it is irreplacable.

Please help me as she obviously needs to access her college work on a daily basis.

Thanks for reading this and for your patience.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S - This thread has been moved from OpenVMS > system management to Microsoft>general - Forum Moderator
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to boot up in any way whatsoever!

You seem to have found a thoroughly
inappropriate forum for your question. You
might do better in some Windows-related
forum:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Microsoft/ct-p/itrc-116

Jackie Barton

You're probably right, I thought it may have been an HP prob. I will go to microsoft and check there

thanks

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I thought it may have been an HP problem. I will go to microsoft and check there

That's not what Steven was saying. He was saying you don't have a multi-ten-thousand dollar server in a data center running the OpenVMS operating system, you have a PC running Windows.
The URL he provided goes to a HP forum specifically for Windows.

And there are two other forums besides the ITRC:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/?category.id=business-support
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/
Kees L.
Advisor

Hello Jackie,

As there are no other reactions I will give some way out. I'm more into OpenVMS, but we all know PC's of course.

First get a Live CD or USB drive with Linux on it and boot that up. Linux Mint or Ubuntu are my favorites here. Then you can browse your harddisk and copy the things you need from your windows harddisk to a USB-drive or an external harddisk. Don't forget your mailbox!

After that: if you have Windows XP you can reinstall that. It's been a while I did that but if you choose not to format the drive you might be able to install without losing information.

Success.
Kees